API Keys/Tokens

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

Hi, everyone! I was wondering if anybody knows if you can auto-generate API keys automatically in the background of a 3rd party software? We want our users to simply enter their username and password and our software auto-generates the API keys. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
587 72 130

Hey @focalsoft,

If you're using a private app, the API keys will need to be created through the web admin by a user with full permissions.

If you're using a public app, the access token will be generated automatically when the user proceeds through the Oauth flow.

JB | Developer Support @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

Thanks, JB. I just read the definition of a private app. So does this mean a 3rd party app is also considered a "private" app? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
587 72 130

Hey @focalsoft,

Private apps are essentially API credentials, a private app can use the API but can't be embedded into the Shopify admin. Private apps are created within the Shopify admin.

Public apps are apps that are embedded in the Shopify admin and can be installed on any store, with the option to have the app listed in the Shopify App Store. Public apps must be reviewed by our apps team before merchants can use them. Public apps are created through your partner dashboard, and installed by the merchant through the app store or an install link you provide.

Custom apps are apps that can be embedded in the Shopify admin, but are only meant to be installed on a single store. Custom apps are not reviewed by our apps team, and can't be listed in the Shopify App Store. Custom apps are created through your partner dashboard, and installed by the merchant through an install link you provide.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

This is extremely helpful, JB. I'm going to ask a dumb question, I apologize in advance. If we did a private app, would our user need to install it? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
587 72 130

If you use a private app, then yes the merchant will need to manually generate the API credentials your app will use. Since private apps aren't embedded in the admin it won't look like the app is "installed", but the credentials will allow your app to interact with the store through the API.

0 Likes