API calls are being blocked

Amber_Walker
Tourist
8 0 3

We have a script running on our production web server that syncs products and orders using Shopify's API.

This has been running smoothly for years, but starting over the weekend, all network traffic from our web server (and only our web server) started failing. The failures are so complete that even a simple ping of the server fails:

BrokenPing.png

My first guess was that traffic was being blocked by a firewall that was preventing outgoing traffic from the web server, but after a conversation with the hosting company's support and a few traceroute calls, it became clear that traffic was making it to shopify's servers and dying.

This indicates to me that Shopify has blacklisted our web server's IP address.

We need this block removed. 3-4 hours with Shopify support was thoroughly unproductive. Is there someone from Shopify that can possibly assist? It is a devastatingly blocking issue.

0 Likes
Amber_Walker
Tourist
8 0 3

To provide additional information beyond what is in the screenshot, the public IP address of the server in question is 64.111.127.92.

0 Likes
DrT
Tourist
3 0 2

Hello Amber, did you figure anything out with this? I am experiencing the same issue and it started on the same day as yours. I've had a process running for years that suddenly stopped from my server. I am on Dreamhost Whitfield server and I can't seem to figure out what is going on PING fails and trace-route fails at Shopify. Same thing with Shopify support and no help on the forums yet. I see you posted a few days ago with no results. This is where Shopify support sent me and were very unhelpful.

Luckily I can run these jobs from my home machine - but having a cron job makes my life so much easier as I wear a lot of hats for our business.

Amber_Walker
Tourist
8 0 3

That is very interesting that you're having the same problem, so thank you for sharing--it seems that means this is a larger problem that Shopify (for whatever reason) doesn't seem to think is a high enough priority to warrant a response.

Their quote-unquote "tech team" from chat support claimed that the IP was not blocked, but these are the same people that asked me if I had tried, "clearing my cache or using incognito mode," so I'm 100% confident that they had no f---ing idea what they were talking about.

Shopify needs to fix this problem. There is absolutely no excuse for it going on this long.

0 Likes