API credentials with versioned public app

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Is it possible to use a single set of API credentials for separate versions of a public app simultaneously?

In other words, if v1 of a public app is active and installed on multiple shops, could a standalone v2 be "added" to the existing app with separate redirect URLs, and use the same API credentials? If so, would it also mean that active shops would not have to re-authenticate, i.e. their existing API keys and scopes would work with either version?

Looking for some insight on ways to handle this scenario, as I could not find much in the docs or forum. Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
587 72 130

Hey @traderkrut,

Is it possible to use a single set of API credentials for separate versions of a public app simultaneously?

Yes, absolutely. You can call any version from your app, you just need to include your desired version in the URL used to make the call. 

If so, would it also mean that active shops would not have to re-authenticate, i.e. their existing API keys and scopes would work with either version?

This is also correct. Scopes aren't tied to any version, so as long as you already have `read_orders` for example, this will let you read orders using any API version. Changing the API version your app uses should be invisible to merchants, as long as you're not requesting new scopes.

JB | Developer Support @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

@_JB Awesome, thank you for the confirmation!

0 Likes