API for beginner (3rd party warehouse connection)

Highlighted
2 0 0

HI all,

I work in Marketing and we are very new with shoplift and I am trying to connect our merchandise warehouse to shopify.

I was told this is done by an API, which I created within the private Apps and I have the credentials, BUT unfortunately I do not speak dev and neither the warehouse. Where does the warehouse need to go and enter those? 

Could someone explain to me how this is set up on their side?

Thank you soooooooo much!

Nora

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
144 13 32

Hi @NoraKowalski 

Firstly - Shopify, not Shoplift, lol!

Can you give more detail of exactly what you need to accomplish? Does the warehouse already have some kind of ERP or other software to which you are trying to connect? Or do you just need a solution to provide order information to the warehouse for fulfillment?

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

OMG - see that happens when you are at your limits.

No of course Shopify!!!

They do have some kind of in-house system - they couldn't tell us a brand or anything, they've never worked with an API.

They keep clicking on the example URL that was generated along the API credentials and keep telling me that the link is broken.

They will be our local warehouse for shipping the items, hence they need to connect to the inventory and then they actual order fulfillment.

A little step by step how to connect to the API would be helpful,

e.g.

1) go to your ERP system,

2) click somewhere on "external connections"

3) enter API credentials etc.

Obviously since I am not a developer myself, that is probably not the case

Nora

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
144 13 32

If they need to connect to their ERP system, I would ask if they can reach out to the company that made their system to ask about API interface, as it is very specific to the system as to how they 'handshake' so to speak. 

A much less complicated way to handle it would be to use an app like ShipStation, EasyShip, Shippo, Ship Hero, etc. that you can create staff accounts for the warehouse to log into and process & fulfill the orders. These apps integrate directly to Shopify and can be added from the App store. They are cloud-based, so the warehouse can log in from any of their workstation computers through a web browser.

0 Likes