Account authority

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

Greetings.

Long term developer here, but just now getting into Shopify stuff for a client. I'm hoping someone can assist in pointing me the proper direction.

We're looking at migrating from the client's self-built proprietary solution to Shopify, and therefore asking some questions. A main one is about who will stand as the authority for customer accounts. After the migration we still have a need to allow customers to login to some proprietary tools we will host, so we need to be able to authenticate them from our side.

If my understanding is correct, using Multipass we can manage the customer accounts and authentication ourselves, then send them on to the Shopify storefront.

I have not yet been able to ascertain if there is an API option where Shopify can manage all the customer accounts and we can just authenticate against Shopify (oauth, etc) when a user needs to access our hosted tools.

Is there an existing accepted pattern for dealing with this?

I have no issues researching myself but the Shopify development ecosystem can be a bit broad when you're first getting into it. So any help you can provide will be appreciated.

Thank you

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1041 140 166

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @spotnyk,

If my understanding is correct, using Multipass we can manage the customer accounts and authentication ourselves, then send them on to the Shopify storefront.

That's right. Keep in mind a customer account will be created on Shopify's side if it doesn't exist.

I have not yet been able to ascertain if there is an API option where Shopify can manage all the customer accounts and we can just authenticate against Shopify (oauth, etc) when a user needs to access our hosted tools.

To authenticate the other way it gets a little more awkward. Once approach might be to validate credentials with the Storefront API: https://shopify.dev/tutorials/update-customer-data-with-storefront-api#creating-an-access-token

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

This appears to be a viable solution.

Thank you very much.

1 Like