Add checkout/cart ID to CarrierService rate request

Solved
epelc
Excursionist
18 0 10

Hello,

Is there any chance the checkout ID or some sort of identifier for the cart could be added to the request data sent to a carrier service for shipping rates? We are a shopify plus customer looking to customize the checkout.liquid to show extra shipping information and also add extra lines in the summary under taxes for our shop specific fees when shipping to canada(due to the products we ship there is sometimes a Phyto and broker fee for canada). However there is no way beyond resending the items + quantities + ship to info to try and link up previous shipping requests made by shopify to a request we could make using js in the checkout.liquid.

FreightChick - Automate your Logistics
CartJumper - Sync with NetSuite
0 Likes
Kevin_A
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
213 27 39

Hey @epelc 

Have you brought this up with your MSM to discuss potential options? My first thought would be to look at something like scripts, because I don't believe there is a way to modify the data that is sent/received from the carrier service endpoint.

Kevin_A | Developer Support @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

0 Likes
epelc
Excursionist
18 0 10

Hi Kevin,

I talked to support before about another dev/api related issue and they said everything dev/api/technical has to be posted here.

I'm asking if shopify would add something like this to the carrier service on their side so merchants and app developers(I am both) can make better experiences for customers. Should feature requests be sent to the MSM?

0 Likes
Kevin_A
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
213 27 39

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @epelc 

This is definitely the best place to ask about specific API related questions. I was suggesting your MSM to explore non-API related solutions with them (like something scripts related). In this case, I am happy to pass along your feedback to our development teams but still would suggest you consider reaching out to your MSM to pass along your feedback and to see if they have any recommendations.

Kevin_A | Developer Support @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

0 Likes
epelc
Excursionist
18 0 10

Thanks Kevin,

I sent this post off to our MSM. There is a work around it could just be much simpler/reliable if shopify included an ID.

0 Likes