Advice and tips for new project

Tourist
11 0 2

Hello all

I've got a product list as JSON which consists of all the fields I need from my suppliers, including images, inventory level and shipping costs. I know I can import this into the product catalog in Shopify, but need it to be more "real-time" than that. Any tips on how I go about that please? 

Approx 100k products.

Many thanks

Jon

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
9965 84 1467

If importing products isn't an option this raises a bunch of questions.

The first that come to mind:

1. are you hoping to have the storefront (the parts the customer sees) on Shopify?
  2. If yes to #1: how do you plan to handle urls? No imported product = no product url
  3. if yes to #1: how do you plan to handle site search?
  4. items added to a cart/checkout need to exist on the shop* so if you're not importing I'm interested in your approach here too.

* exception here is if you're creating a Draft Order since that supports custom items.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Tourist
11 0 2

Hi Jason, thank-you for answering me.

Hope this helps clarify:

Importing is an option, but was hoping it could be fully automated some how. Can it be? Perhaps updated every hour or something? My point is that we have frequently changing inventory (and less so product variants, pricing, category allocation etc) for many individual retailers which I'd like to ensure is as current as possible in the Shopify system. Presumably I can write and host an app that checks our data and updates Shopify via the API right? If so, where do I begin with that?

1) Yes, storefront will be on Shopify and also on mobile apps

2) - 4) TBC depending on the above really...

3) As above

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
9965 84 1467

It's the API call rates that will determine what's possible for you. Importing 100k at first will take time but if you're only making changes to a subset of that you might be able to power through them really quickly. Now if you are thinking you need to update 100k (or more) every hour that is not going to be as fun for you.

Do you need to track true inventory values on Shopify? Or can you just determine if the item can be sold or not? The latter might adjust your strategy so instead of pushing in every inventory update from your json stash, you just update if the product can be purchased on not and care less about the actual inventory count.

> Presumably I can write and host an app that checks our data and updates Shopify via the API right?

100%. You'd be the master record keeper. Check for delta changes and push those over to Shopify. What will be important is also storing the product ID on Shopify side and mapping that against whatever data you have in your own db.

This is a lazy reply but not sure where you sit in terms of Shopify API knowledge. Start here:
https://help.shopify.com/en/api/getting-started

product and variant apis will be what you'll want to poke on first. Opt for GraphQL vs REST where you can.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 2

Thanks, appreciate the point in the right direction. 

Just availability will be fine, so like you say, as the master record keeper, I'd check the feed against my last cached version for changes and push only the changes to Shopify.

Thanks

0 Likes