Any way to backup a private app?

Solved
Excursionist
21 2 2

Hello. Is there any way to backup an existing private app (including keys, secrets, tokens, and permissions) as a rollback precaution when changing or deleting it from a store? I cannot find any documentation that indicates this is possible. Optionally, is there a full store backup option that will preserve private apps as above?

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1127 79 162

Hey @Josh68 , 

Unfortunately it's a no to both of these questions - apps cannot be backed up or have their credentials saved. 

A shop could be backed up using our multiple APIs, but the app portion cannot. That strikes me as a security risk exposing API client credentials via an API endpoint - I'm sure it could be scoped to only have an app's credentials accessible by that same app, but even then it seems like it's just asking for trouble. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
21 2 2

Thanks, Josh. I was even wondering about ways to download a configuration from the admin, but your answer is what I expected. I was looking into this only as a precautionary measure. Planning to delete an app that we're confident is no longer being used, but once deleted, all of its keys, etc, will be gone, permanently. No quick rollback option - would just have to recreate it and update associated code and configurations.

Regards,

Josh

0 Likes