App Bridge React

Highlighted

Is the shopify/app-bridge-react library ready for production use? The Polaris documentation says to use that library, but I can't find documentation for it anywhere.

https://polaris.shopify.com/components/overlays/resource-picker#navigation bottom of page

Activated Apps | Shopify Development and Applications
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1489 67 220

Hey @activatedapps.

You've got a good amount of runway before the deprecation outlined in the Polaris docs goes into effect (two major versions). I spoke to the app bridge team and we recommend continuing to use polaris-react for the time being. We're working on getting some docs up on app-bridge-react as soon as we can in the mean time. While you can use the library now, you may be a bit in the dark without docs.

Cheers.

1 Like
Excursionist
34 0 9

Can you please keep old/current documentation until you publish the new one?

I can't find a code example nowhere in the documentation, for either old (polaris-react) or new code (@shopify/app-bridge-react).

Here's what you're saying:

"we recommend continuing to use polaris-react"

Here's what's the documentation saying:

"Use ResourcePicker from @shopify/app-bridge-react instead."

There is no documentation visible on how to use the new @shopify/app-bridge-react or the old polaris-react. Can you point me in the right direction? This is really frustrating. :(

1 Like
Excursionist
34 0 9

If I understand this correctly, this is what happened:

The current API (let's call it API) got deprecated. The new API was released.

So far so good.

Here's where the problems happen:

1. New API is released as a minified (closed-source) npm package.

2. Current API documentation got removed.

3. There's no new API documentation.

Did I misunderstand something or this is how the switch is happening?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1489 67 220

Hey @ViktorApps.

To be clear, is it polaris-react documentation you're looking for, like this? Besides the deprecation messaging at the bottom, it's in a bit of a weird state. The current sentiment is that you should continue to use polaris-react, which is what the docs at the end of that link describe, rather than app-bridge-react (since there's not docs on it yet).

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding you though, I want to get you where you need to be. This feedback is going to be very useful in informing future app bridge/polaris iterations and releases.

0 Likes