App Bridge React

DIW
Shopify Partner
9 0 2

Is the shopify/app-bridge-react library ready for production use? The Polaris documentation says to use that library, but I can't find documentation for it anywhere.

https://polaris.shopify.com/components/overlays/resource-picker#navigation bottom of page

Replies 5 (5)

Alex
Shopify Staff
1561 81 341

Hey @DIW.

You've got a good amount of runway before the deprecation outlined in the Polaris docs goes into effect (two major versions). I spoke to the app bridge team and we recommend continuing to use polaris-react for the time being. We're working on getting some docs up on app-bridge-react as soon as we can in the mean time. While you can use the library now, you may be a bit in the dark without docs.

Cheers.

Alex | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

ViktorApps
Excursionist
34 0 8

Can you please keep old/current documentation until you publish the new one?

I can't find a code example nowhere in the documentation, for either old (polaris-react) or new code (@shopify/app-bridge-react).

Here's what you're saying:

"we recommend continuing to use polaris-react"

Here's what's the documentation saying:

"Use ResourcePicker from @shopify/app-bridge-react instead."

There is no documentation visible on how to use the new @shopify/app-bridge-react or the old polaris-react. Can you point me in the right direction? This is really frustrating. 😞

ViktorApps
Excursionist
34 0 8

If I understand this correctly, this is what happened:

The current API (let's call it API) got deprecated. The new API was released.

So far so good.

Here's where the problems happen:

1. New API is released as a minified (closed-source) npm package.

2. Current API documentation got removed.

3. There's no new API documentation.

Did I misunderstand something or this is how the switch is happening?

Alex
Shopify Staff
1561 81 341

Hey @ViktorApps.

To be clear, is it polaris-react documentation you're looking for, like this? Besides the deprecation messaging at the bottom, it's in a bit of a weird state. The current sentiment is that you should continue to use polaris-react, which is what the docs at the end of that link describe, rather than app-bridge-react (since there's not docs on it yet).

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding you though, I want to get you where you need to be. This feedback is going to be very useful in informing future app bridge/polaris iterations and releases.

Alex | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

-jeremiah
Visitor
2 0 1

Yep, this was my conclusion too. I've gotten to the point where I can't rely on polaris docs alone and therefore tried to read through the  @shopify/app-bridge-react package but both links on npm go to 404's and there is next to no support on how to handle routing in the polaris docs or in the community. This is extremely frustrating to me because I've hit a brick wall multiple times trying to implement dynamic routing using the shopify app bridge react package.  I would love to say this is the first time that I've experienced a lack of support of tools that you've built, but Slate exists, so there's that.