App Bridge v2 required host parameter is missing from the OAuth confirmation redirect's query string

dylanpierce
Shopify Partner
134 2 41

The v2 of the App Bridge was released yesterday:

https://shopify.dev/tutorials/migrate-your-app-to-app-bridge-2

However, the documentation claims that a `host` parameter will be passed as part of the query string in the request back to my API during the OAuth handshake.

The issue is that this is not the case. The query string only contains these parameters:

* hmac
* code
* shop
* state (a.k.a. the nonce)

Even the OAuth documentation doesn't mention this new parameter: https://shopify.dev/tutorials/authenticate-with-oauth#step-3-confirm-installation

I have written a test in `shopify-nextjs-toolbox` to prove that all query string parameters are passed correctly. The query string simply just doesn't have the `host` parameter that's needed to instantiate the AppBridge v2 in the frontend.

Can we have an explanation for this? Is there a special parameter we need to set at the start of the OAuth flow to tell Shopify's API that this is flow needs a `host` parameter?

Founder of Verdict - Anti-Fraud Apps for Shopify
  • Blockade - Easily block countries, IP addresses, VPNs
  • Real ID - Verify your customer's real IDs easily & securely
dylanpierce
Shopify Partner
134 2 41

Update to everyone else following this thread.

I've spoken with a Shopify rep and they're working to fix the issue. Will update here when I have a response and confirm the fix.

Founder of Verdict - Anti-Fraud Apps for Shopify
  • Blockade - Easily block countries, IP addresses, VPNs
  • Real ID - Verify your customer's real IDs easily & securely
0 Likes
mikeastral
2 0 0

Any news regarding this issue? From what I see the issue still remains.

0 Likes
ArchitechproOU
Shopify Partner
55 1 11

On our end it still remains too.

0 Likes
hannachen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
54 8 15

Hi everyone, thank you for your patience and being one of the first to jump into upgrading. Really appreciate the fast reporting of this issue.

The fix for the missing `host` search param during auth is in and it's currently being rolled out. Some apps should start seeing it today, and more in the next couple of days.

BoxUp
Shopify Partner
37 1 13

Hi Hanna,

Suddenly, stores are unable to install our app as the signature check is failing, despite no changes on our end.

Please could you explain what's been updated exactly?

Thanks

0 Likes
BoxUp
Shopify Partner
37 1 13

Possibly unrelated. Working normally now...

0 Likes
Vostario
Tourist
9 0 1

What does host mean in the query?  hostname of the App / hostname of the store?

0 Likes
hannachen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
54 8 15

Thanks for the followup, I don't believe changes were made to `shop`, host was added on top of shop. Glad to hear that it's working properly now.

0 Likes
hannachen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
54 8 15

`host` url parameter is the hostname of the store, used by the App Bridge 2.0 client. It's a different version of `shop` as described in the Get and store the shop origin guide.

0 Likes