App Performance on Storefronts - Revised Requirements and Resources

Kris_Doyle
Shopify Partner
87 0 19

Hi Shopify ,

I just got an email saying the following:

Action Required: Your app has been flagged as reducing Lighthouse performance scores by more than 10%. Improve your app(s)’ performance by March 2nd, 9am EST.

I'm confused though because my app is admin-facing and doesn't interact with storefronts or themes at all. I'm not sure how it could be affecting shop performance?

I've been running Lighthouse but it doesn't report correctly because embedded apps have to go through the oauth process which causes problems for Lighthouse. I'm wondering how the app could have been tested with Lighthouse with those limitations. When I did get it to work, it was reporting errors with the Shopify Admin, and not my actual app (since it's embedded in a frame) so I'm not sure what to do about that.

In any case, if mine is an admin-facing app, do the same rules apply, and how is the testing done? Everything I've seen is talking about theme performance, but I have no storefront interactions, no injected script or proxy, and no theme-related features, so I'm just a bit confused.

Thanks very much!
Kris

0 Likes
Jose_Samper
Shopify Partner
30 2 18

Hi Kris,

I'm not sure if anyone from Shopify is checking this thread, I would try to contact Partner Support using the form in the Shopify Partner Dashboard and send them a video showing the Lighthouse score of a shop before and after installing your app, as explained at https://shopify.dev/concepts/app-store/getting-your-app-approved/app-requirements#a-performance-scor....

The problem is that the margin of error of Lighthouse is way higher than 10% so the risk of false positives is extremely high. I will say it again: if you run Lighthouse twice on any website, it's easy to get 2 different results that differ on more than 10%.

The Online Speed Score do not apply to admin apps, this is clearly a false positive.

Good luck!

Kris_Doyle
Shopify Partner
87 0 19

Hi @Jose_Samper ,

Exactly my point (about the admin app). I can run the score and then install the app, an re-run, but all it's going to show is the theme score, which I have no impact on since the app isn't even part of the score.

But wouldn't the testing team have already done this? Is it possible that someone didn't realize it's an admin app and that it's a false positive as you said?

I really hope so because the message "fix this by March 2" is pretty ominous; especially when there's literally nothing I can do to change what the theme performance is, since my app doesn't interact with the storefront at all.

Thanks,
Kris

Jose_Samper
Shopify Partner
30 2 18

Hi,

Is it possible that someone didn't realize it's an admin app and that's it's a false positive as you said?

Definitely a false positive.

I think that Lighthouse should not be used to check apps performance but, to be fair, I understand that the guy who tested it does not need to understand how all apps works, they might think that your app, even being an admin app, could inject some storefront code to get metrics or anything else.

The misunderstanding should be easily solved but, as you said, the deadline is threatening, let's hope someone checks it before it arrives.

Kris_Doyle
Shopify Partner
87 0 19

Yeah good point. I guess there's no way they can know that for sure.

I think it would be better if they maybe said something like "You've been flagged! Prove your innocence by March 2 or else!" lol

Anyhow, agreed about hoping they look into it soon...starting to panic a little.

0 Likes
Kris_Doyle
Shopify Partner
87 0 19

Hi Shopify ,

Would it be possible for anyone to offer an official opinion on this?

I created a support ticket a little over a week ago with no response, and it's almost March 2.

I also sent a video showing that my app has no effect on store performance so I'm not sure what else I can do.

At this point, all I can do is wait and see what happens on March 2 but obviously I'm a little concerned here.

Help?

0 Likes
Josh
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1131 82 191

Thanks @Jose_Samper for flagging this post, 

@Kris_Doyle I found your email, and am going to have this looked at internally. Either myself or a colleague will respond via email ASAP once we have more information, but in the meantime please know that I'll make sure your app will not be penalized while we investigate this. 

0 Likes
Kris_Doyle
Shopify Partner
87 0 19

Hey @Josh ,

Thanks so much, you guys are awesome. I think there might be two threads going for this so I do apologize for that. In any case, this is successfully closed now per your last post.

Cheers,
Kris

0 Likes

Hi Josh,

Our app ETA is already negatively affected, my email is parcelpanel100@gmail.com, please help to investigate this issue.

We got the email that said, "In addition, if you are still unable to meet our requirements by March 9th, 9 am EST, your app will be delisted from the Shopify App Store until this performance issue is resolved." 

We have already fixed the speed issue regarding the storefront, we don't know what more can we do. I emailed Shopify and the ticket number is 22653438. Haven't got any reply from email yet. Please help.

0 Likes