App Proxy for Private App or a workaround?

Bassel_Said
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

Hello,

I need to create an app proxy for a private app, but I do not see any documentation for it. I only see documentation for app proxies for public apps, and google turned out results that indicated it wasn't possible, but nothing too concrete that I could find.

How do I implement app proxies in private apps? If that isn't possible, how do I serve my own content into a page or link in my store? Do I have to redirect the path or subdirectory to the ip address of my private app (hosted on AWS)? If so are there instructions anywhere on how to do that?

Thanks you.

Replies 6 (6)

Josh_Brown1
Shopify Staff (Retired)
146 0 28

Hi Bassel,

It's true that app proxies are only available for public apps.  What you can do is create a public app without publishing it in the App Store. You'll need a partners account to do that – they are free, and you can get one here. Once you have your partners account, you can create your app in the partner dashboard. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Bassel_Said
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the reply. How do I install the app into my shopify store afterwards without publishing it into the app store?

Thank you,
Bassel

Josh_Brown1
Shopify Staff (Retired)
146 0 28

You can install the app by visiting a URL like this:

https://{shop}.myshopify.com/admin/oauth/authorize?client_id={api_key}&scope=read_script_tags

Where {shop} is your myshopify subdomain and {api_key} would be replaced with your public app API key.  Once you click on the blue install button, the app is installed. There is more information in our OAuth documentation here: https://docs.shopify.com/api/authentication/oauth
Hope this helps!

Bassel_Said
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

Great, thank you very much.

bhavinrudani
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Hello @Josh_Brown1  @Busfox

I am using app proxy.
if I logged in with my admin store and I'm trying to access proxy URL then I get a result something like that

Screenshot from 2019-02-12 17-59-52.png

If I not logged in with my admin store then I got an error something like that 

Screenshot from 2019-02-12 18-00-14.png

I don't know what's going wrong. I'm doing something wrong with my proxy configuration?  

Can anyone have an idea about this problem ?

Busfox
Shopify Staff (Retired)
628 49 110

Hi @bhavinrudani,

Shopify changes fast, so the Shopify of 2015 may not reflect the Shopify of 2019. For this reason, I recommend starting a new thread rather than reviving an old one. I've locked this post to ensure that our forums remains a curated, up-to-date, knowledge source.

It sounds like you may not be passing the proper Content-Type header value. For app proxies you want to pass application/liquid. This is all explained in detail in our documentation for app proxies.

If you still need help with this, please open a new thread.

Take care!