Best approach for editing billing plans

Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

Hi,

Our analytics app offers multiple billing plans based on the number of orders our client stores have. Technically, finding the best plan is easy since we have the metrics for our product, but we want to offer a Fair Pricing and reduce or increase the monthly price for each client that decreases or increases monthly sales.

Concretely, our plan prices for the app are:

• $49/month
  • $99/month
  • $149/month
  • $699/month

If a customer signs up for a $99/month plan, but becomes very successful and should be bumped to $149/month a couple of months later, how should we proceed?

1. One option is to pre-authorize the usage charge on the recurring billing API, but we can't ask for $600 on top of a $99 app (I suppose customers wouldn't like it?)
  2. Another option is to prompt customers to accept a new recurring subscription to replace the old one, but that adds a lot of friction and I've never seen anyone do that

What's the best practice?

Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1040 140 165

Hey @nicolas-grasset 

I'm not sure there's a best practice for this scenario. Both methods have their trade-offs. A large UsageCharge cap might scare off a merchant, but activating a new recurring charge requires action from the merchant.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

Hey @scottydont 

Thank you for the quick reply. We will see what makes the most sense for right now then.

Best,

/N

0 Likes