Best way to create middleman app

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi,

I'd like to create an app which would serve as an Admin API middleman between my client-side javascript code and the Shopify Admin API. I've researched myself and it seems that I either have to create private apps (to avoid clogging my Partners account) or create a public app.

I'd use the API access to create a collection page filter. This I would use on many of my clients' stores. But the app would only act as a middleman and not the whole filter. Furthermore there would be other endpoints in the app that would allow me to access other parts of the Admin such as locations.

I'd like to know whether it is best practice to create an unlisted public app that I can install on many stores (if it even gets past review) or to create a lot of private apps with essentially the same backend?

Best regards,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
582 70 127

Hey @rm127,

If the intention is to use the app on many stores, you should create a public app as this is what public apps are intended for. Even if you choose not to list it in the app store, creating a public app and going through the review process will ensure the best experience for merchants using the app, and will save you alot of headache trying to manage the various API credentials.

JB | Developer Support @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes