Best way to handle products with user inputs

Highlighted
Excursionist
20 0 2

I am asking this here because it is indirectly related to using the API to create a product.

I have been asked to implement some bespoke functionality that a client has seen done on another Shopify store that they looked after in the past.

The requirement is that for a certain product the user can specify a length and a width and then can select some other options that allows the customer to order a product suited to their particular needs.

By all accounts this is simple calculator functionality with some advanced options. In the store where this is being done already the Shopify store has a custom app that uses the options selected by the customer to dynamically build that product so multiple quantities can be ordered and added to the cart.

Does anyone more experienced than me know a reason why this custom app creates products dynamically like this? Is this how you handle products that would be built from options that involve calculations? Would it not be enough to simple pass this information to the cart as some sort of meta information?

I am new to this kind of a build project on Shopify but have done similar on Magento and Woocommerce in the past.

Attached is what I will be trying to build:

Screenshot 2020-04-28 at 16.21.16.png

Kindest regards to anyone that can help explain this to me. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Yes, you can create product by using shopify Create Product API at run time, 

Quick way to create an app.

Shopify Expert - https://experts.shopify.com/lucentinnovation
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
20 0 2

@ashukasma thanks for your reply. It actually looks very straight forward to create a product using the API. Thanks for those links (although I typically use PHP to build out my apps).

I was just wondering if anyone had an idea as to why they have opted to create the product dynamically? Is there a reason for this? With Shopify are you not able to calculate the price dynamically and then pass that along with the user selected options to the cart?

0 Likes
Highlighted

@garethrane perfect, thank you

On other note, 80% of ecommerce works on normal products where price increase based on variants or options, but Such dynamic products will be created using API only in shopify.

Shopify Expert - https://experts.shopify.com/lucentinnovation
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
20 0 2

@ashukasma thank you.

I am just trying to understand why you would need to create a dynamic product. I have never had to do this on any other e-commerce platform I have used. Why would I need to do that here?

0 Likes