Billing shipping Latitude and Longitude return null

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello,

I would like to know why when I check some orders in my shopify store theres no latitude and/or longitude returned for billing/shipping_address:

"billing_address": {
"first_name": "Catarina",
"address1": "345 S Fm 1417",
"phone": "(903) 444-5559",
"city": "Sherman",
"zip": "75092",
"province": "Texas",
"country": "United States",
"last_name": "cats",
"address2": "",
"company": null,
"latitude": null,
"longitude": null,
"name": "cats",
"country_code": "US",
"province_code": "TX"
},

Is there any conditions for which shopify cant compute lat/long?

Thanks,

Catarina Lima

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
72 12 24

Hello,

Well that's a good question.

Personally I don't think this has something to do with Shopify, if the customer does not want to be geo-localized, then it's his choice to not allow latitude and longitude information retrieval and hence those empty latitude and longitude for billing and shipping_address.

But of course, you ask can a shopify staff to know the reasons for this behavior.

1 Like
Highlighted
Explorer
191 2 11

Hi there! 

You may potentially use HTML5 GeoLocation API, if you want to access users' long/lat data upon users' locations. It can help you access your visitors' precise location data like long/lat data while they visit your website. Though you need to aware that it needs visitors' content before it can access visitors' locations. It can be implemented across different browsers and devices. 

If you are interested about more details, you may look at the post: https://geotargetly.com/blog/how-does-html5-geolocation-work

Hope it helps!

1 Like