Building a video message feature during checkout

at2020
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi!

We want to build a video gift message feature into the checkout process on Shopify. What is the best way to do this? I know that it's not doable with Shopify Basic since checkout page is not available for customization. If we upgrade to Shopify Plus, is it possible to build additional code into checkout.liquid then for this feature? Since I don't have Shopify Plus yet, can any experts here shed light on the feasibility? 

I think the backend dashboard of Shopify probably cannot store video message, however, is it possible to set up another video message button on checkout page and on order submission, submit the video to another server that we can host independently?

Appreciate any feedback or pointers. Thank you!

Replies 4 (4)

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

This is possible within reason and shopify can store video files in either the files admin, or in a product as product media.

As for why you'd want to build such a major distraction into a checkout process you probably shouldn't.

Or on top of the shopifyPlus annual cost you better be willing to lose money in either testing validity or outright sales from abandonment.

Your better off doing this for the order confirmation page(aka order status aka thank your page)  which is also an advanced customization.

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/orders/status-tracking/customize-order-status 

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

at2020
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your help! We are thinking about Order Confirmation page as well. Just to clarify- to customize the order confirmation page, I will still need to upgrade to Shopify Plus, right? 

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

@at2020 wrote:

Just to clarify- to customize the order confirmation page, I will still need to upgrade to Shopify Plus, right? 

All plans with the online store channel can do customizations to the order status page , outlined here: 

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/orders/status-tracking/customize-order-status

Merchants needing  to hire someone to customize the order status may contact me at paull.newton+shopifyforums@gmail.com with store url and use case details for pricing.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

at2020
Visitor
3 0 0

Got it.. thank you for your suggestions!