Camera UPC code scan integration

Highlighted
5 0 0

I have been going over the Shopify documentation for theme and app development. I am familiar with API that Shopify provides. I want to integrate a feature where customer can scan Barcode/UPC and reorder the item. When item is scanned, it would show up in the cart where customer can pick the quantity and reorder. I need some general overview on how to accomplish that. 

Please let me know your suggestions,

Thanks 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
619 76 139

Hey @civiva,

There are multiple ways you can accomplish this, depending on what you're building. If it's a mobile app or custom site, you can use the Storefront API to build a cart and send customers to the checkout based on what they scanned in your app.

Another option is to use cart permalinks. When a customer scans a barcode, you can map that to the variant_id in Shopify, and when the customer is ready you can redirect them to a cart permalink with the variants and quantities chosen.

If you can provide more details about how/where you're planning to build, someone else who's built something similar may be able to weigh-in.

JB | Developer Support @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

As of now, we have decided to have a scanner in mobile version of the store. We want to integrate the scan function for both registered customers as well as guest check-outs so any customer can use it while they are on a mobile device. Currently I am using theme kit to modify theme of store. If I wanted to integrate this functionality, would you suggest to create a Shopify App and then install it to the store or is there a way to access API from theme kit?

Basic idea is when anyone opens up the store in their browser, they would see camera icon in top right corner. After the tap on the camera, it would open their on device camera and start scanning items. As items scanned, they would get a confirmation(banner or a popup) that item is added to their cart. In the cart, they would pick the quantity and order the item. 

0 Likes