Can Shopify App Reach an External API?

Solved
Jroyce1180
Pathfinder
85 4 14

I have a private Shopify App and want to reach an external API to access data and load this into my Shopify App. Here is an example of what I am trying to do from WooCommerce and I would like to be able to do the same thing within Shopify. Please advise if this is possible. 

0 Likes
Greg_Kujawa
Shopify Partner
965 80 205

This is an accepted solution.

I've done this connecting various external API's. Although as the app developer, you'd likely have to create the middleware that links the disparate systems. There are third-party services available that can assist in this cause as well. As long as the external API vendor has connectors available.  

Jroyce1180
Pathfinder
85 4 14

Thanks Greg for the insight. How involved is building the middleware ourselves, vs. using a third party? Also which third party vendors do you recommend for this? I would prefer to build the middleware, any direction on this would be appreciated. 

0 Likes
Greg_Kujawa
Shopify Partner
965 80 205

This is an accepted solution.

In our situation, I started building out our middleware and then partnered with an in-house web developer to help finish the task. Most software vendors publish their API specs, so it's just a question of reading up on the documentation and starting to develop the interfaces. After awhile, most of them are relatively similar in the generic sense --- acquire an API access token, make an HTTP API request, read back the HTTP API response, etc.

Most software vendors have partners listed on their websites. You can reach out to those third parties to have them quote out a solution for what you are looking to do. If you are connecting major software vendors then you could look into a third party service that can connect them for you. Services such as this -->  https://tray.io/

Jroyce1180
Pathfinder
85 4 14

Thanks and that was really helpful. I ended up working out the code for this and what I was looking for is pretty simple as you said. To get external API data loaded into Shopify I used fetch command to do this, as described in this post. 

0 Likes