Can't create recurring charge due to 'X-Frame-Options = deny'.

mfvas
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi,

I am trying to create a recurring charge in an embedded app created in Node.js and based on Express. Everything works perfectly until step 3 - these steps - where Shopify is redirecting the merchant to accept or decline the charge. It is simply not allowed because the app is embedded. In the console I get the following error:

Refused to display 'confirmation_url' in a frame because it set 'X-Frame-Options' to 'deny', where I've removed the confirmation_url for readability.

How do I circumvent this? It looks like I'm not the only one who has had this problem, so it is probably a problem that should be addressed in the documentation.

All the best,
Mathias

Replies 5 (5)

Busfox
Shopify Staff (Retired)
628 49 110

Hi @mfvas,

You need to do a top level redirect that escapes the iframe when redirecting the merchant to the confirmation url. There's an explanation in our oAuth documentation that also applies here:

Since the application is loaded inside an iframe, it is critical that the initial OAuth redirect to Shopify occurs at the parent level, escaped from the iframe. Shopify returns the X-Frame-Options=DENY header and prevents any Shopify admin pages from being loaded inside an iframe. The Embedded App SDK provides a method that can be used to perform a redirect within the parent window.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Pritam_Roy
Shopify Partner
5 1 12

Hi, you can do a top level page redirect to bypass this-
Eg. 
Instead of doing 
`window.location.href = response.data.confirmation_url;`

do
`window.top.location.href = response.data.confirmation_url;`

chenster
Shopify Partner
134 5 29

@Pritam_Roy 's comment works!

Cartoo
Not applicable

Thank you @Pritam_Roy  !

dylanpierce
Shopify Partner
210 3 94

I was stuck on this for awhile too. I wanted to offer multiple plans, but the Shopify app tutorial doesn't provide that example, and neither does the documentation on shopify.dev.

Below is an example using React & the AppBridge component:

NOTE: in the Shopify app tutorial example, the server redirects the client to the appSubscriptionCreate's confirmationURL. Instead you'll need to have your server return the confirmationURL in a string format. That way you can escape the iframe your app is embedded in and resolve the X-Frame-Options issue.

import { Page } from '@shopify/polaris'
import createApp from '@shopify/app-bridge';
import { Redirect } from '@shopify/app-bridge/actions';
import Cookies from "js-cookie";
import axios from 'axios';

export default function Plans() {
  const app = createApp({
    apiKey: API_KEY,
    shopOrigin: Cookies.get('shopOrigin'),
  });

const redirect = Redirect.create(app);

function openPlan(planUrl) {
    axios.get(planUrl)
      .then((res) => {
        redirect.dispatch(Redirect.Action.REMOTE, { url: res.data.confirmationUrl, newContext: false })
      })
      .catch(err => { console.log(err) })
  }

return (
    <Page>
      Pick plan:

<button onClick={() => { 
        openPlan('/api/plan/basic') 
      }}>
        Basic
      </button>
      <button onClick={() => { 
        openPlan('/api/plan/pro') 
      }}>
        Professional
      </button>
      <button onClick={() => { 
        openPlan('/api/plan/enterprise') 
      }}>
        Enterprise
      </button>
    </Page>
  )
}
Founder of Real ID - Verify your customer's real IDs easily & securely with modern A.I.

Want to see it in action? Check out our demo store.