CarrierService support of multiple currencies

Shopify Partner
10 0 2

I have registered a new CarrierService and we would like to use the cart content to calculate the different rate prices that we return.

Now, first of all, two minor questions:

1. How do we get the cart subtotal (price of items and any applied discounts)
  2. Are the item prices including or excluding tax? Note there is an item field taxable in the request.

And secondly for the major issue:

We would of a cause like to support multiple currencies. According to the CarrierService documentation, then we receive a currency code + a list of items, containing both quantities and unit prices in each CarrierService request.

The currency code from the  request, as I understand it, is the one used at the checkout and this might differ from the Shop Currency (which is of cause used for our settings) if the shop owner has enabled selling in multiple currencies.

So the problem is for example that a customer is shopping in USD and Shopify is making a CarrierService request with item prices in USD and we need to calculate the shipping rate price but the store settings are in EUR. How do we handle this using Shopify?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
10 0 2

@Josh sorry to tag you, but this question has remained unanswered and it would be really helpful to get some feedback from Shopify staff. Is this something you might be able to answer or do you know a colleague that might have insight regarding the multiple currencies in relation to CarrierServices? Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
6 0 1

@bille I can answer how CarrierService works with multi-currency. 

CarrierService passes the request & expects response in shop currency. We then take the shipping rates & convert it based on the exchange rate. Unlike product prices, shipping rates are not rounded after converting them to the presentment currency. 

Product Manager, International
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
10 0 2

@rohitmishra thanks for your reply.

First question:

I can see from the response example in the latest documentation that we should return both a currency field and a total_price field, so I am not completely sure when you write:

CarrierService passes the request & expects response in shop currency

What are the currencies that we can use in our response - can we use all, only those setup in the multiple currencies or are we simply limited to the store currency?

Second question:

The Shopify request for shipping rates includes a currency field as described in the documentation. Is that the store currency or the currency the customer is currently shopping with?

Thank you so much.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
6 0 1

What are the currencies that we can use in our response - can we use all, only those setup in the multiple currencies or are we simply limited to the store currency?

@bille For CarrierService, you are limited to the store currency now.

The Shopify request for shipping rates includes a currency field as described in the documentation. Is that the store currency or the currency the customer is currently shopping with?

This will also be store currency. 

Product Manager, International
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
24 0 8

My experience with this is i can return any currency in the currency field and Shopify will automatically convert it back to the store currency.

0 Likes