Checkout Payment Does Not Accept IPv6 Address

jbgrunewald
Shopify Partner
20 1 5

We are a sales channel and are using the payment API (/admin/api/2020-01/checkouts/#{token}/payments.json) to process payments on checkouts that we created. Under the request_details for the input, we are adding the customer's IP address to these orders. However, Shopify does not support IPv6 addresses for customers. This has led to many of our orders having fraud indicators because the IP address can't be geolocated.

In my log analysis, I found that more than %30 of our unique addresses were IPv6. This has raised many concerns, because sometimes our brand partners are very sensitive to the built in fraud analysis, and will cancel orders.

Since there is no means for consistently converting an IPv6 address to an IPv4 address, it would be ideal if Shopify would support these addresses. In my evaluation, we were able to accurately geolocate users with these IPv6 addresses. The alternatives I've found to mitigate this involved using an IPv4 address from the pool of experimental addresses. However, this approach does not allow for geolocation, which is the primary issue with the fraud analysis.

jbgrunewald
Shopify Partner
20 1 5

Shopify Any chance someone can take a look at this very real limitation?

0 Likes