Clarification on app guidleines - external payments in an order management app

Andrew1729
2 0 0

I'm looking for clarification on the app guidelines about external payments (Prohibited App Types > #6 Apps that process payments outside of Shopify's checkout).

I'm investigating building a public (either listed/unlisted) Shopify integration into an order management app that must ingest a mix of order sources and payment methods).

Can a 3rd party Order Management app:

• Use the Orders API to update the Shopify order
  • And then have the customer use Shopify's invoicing/payment UI to send an invoice
  • Once the customer pays via Shopify, the payment details are ingested

I wanted to check if this solution is permitted (and makes sense technically) before starting work on it. Thanks!

0 Likes
Scarlett__H
Tourist
7 1 1

Hi Andrew,

As your questions, it's possible to integrate a third-party application to your Shopify and there are 3 ways to do it:

1, Install through the Shopify App Store - If you can find the app that you want to use on your store in the Shopify App Store, click Add app on the app's listing page.

2, Install with a third-party install link - If you're installing an app from a third-party website/application, then click the app install link. To complete the installation, you need to authorize the app in your Shopify admin. This way only works for apps created before December 5, 2019. If you click a third-party install link for an app made after that date, you will get an error message in your Shopify admin and can't install the app.

3, Install a custom app - if you hire a developer to build a custom app for your Shopify store, then they provide you with an installation link. Custom app installation links are specific to your store, and can't be used to install the app on another store. What you need to do is click your install link authorize the app in your Shopify admin. For security reasons, custom install links expire after 7 days and once it expires, the app developer will need to provide a new one. If you have given a developer a collaborator account for your store, then they can install a custom app on your behalf, but only if you have granted them full permissions. 

If the integration between the application and your Shopify turns out to be too complicated, it'd better implement a Shopify Integration because once your business grows, you will need it sooner or later. Hope this information can help you a bit. 

0 Likes
Andrew1729
2 0 0

@Scarlett__H - thanks for responding! Apologies for the miscommunication - I was actually interested about something different and I was wondering you might happen to know the answer to that!

Instead of integrating a 3rd party application, I'm interested in building a 3rd party application. I'm a developer, and I'm looking for guidance on what's permitted in a 3rd party application.

0 Likes
Scarlett__H
Tourist
7 1 1

Oh sorry for the misunderstanding. I have read the Shopify Terms for Third Party Services, Experts and Experts Market Place. As you can see, "If you use Third Party Services on the Shopify platform, you permit us to send your data to those services. If you use Third Party Services you agree that we do not provide a warranty, so get advice beforehand.", so I think you can get the API from Shopify (with the owner allowance) to try building and running your application. 

0 Likes