Collections update/delete webhooks are not sent

Kelsey_Judson
Tourist
4 0 8

I've tested this with RequestBin (saving with updated title, description and conditions) and collections/create is sent through just fine, however neither update nor delete come through at all (unless by the "send test notification" button). This follows the experience I've had with our app for months as every other webhook comes through as expected, but have never seen a collections/update or collections/delete in our logs.

A quick search reveals that I'm not the only one who has had this issue:

1. https://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/shopify-apis-and-technology/t/collection-update-delete-webhooks-are-...
  2. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11613792/shopify-webhooks-for-collections-do-not-work
  3. https://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/shopify-apis-and-technology/t/collection-update-webhook-works-oddly-...

This is really inconvenient as the only alternative for our users to ensure their collection data is up to date is to perform a full resync of shop data (which has to be a little inconvenient to Shopify too).

It would be great if we could finally get this sorted out!

Replies 30 (30)

Ben_Cox
Shopify Staff (Retired)
94 0 18

that is definitely some odd behaviour. I was able to replicate it myself so we'll dig into what's going on and try and get a solution together asap

Ben | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

MarianoF
Shopify Partner
11 0 3

This is really important to us as well.

We are using Smart Collections and update the collection tag's via an API call. We would like to leverage webhooks for collections every time we do an update to get the new list of associated products. 

Looking forward to an update. 

Guidelines Product Finder

Kelsey_Judson
Tourist
4 0 8

Thanks Ben. Have you made any progress on this?

Como_App
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hi, this is really important to us as well , we relay on webhooks to update shop collection data in our applications, and these hooks not being called forces us to fetch a lot more data from you.

Kelsey_Judson
Tourist
4 0 8

Sorry to be a pain, I'm just a bit worried that this may become buried and forgotten. Can we get any update on this? Thanks.

Corne_de_Leeuw
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

I've recently set up webhooks for our external CMS and am also experiencing what others have reported. I'm using RequestBin to test for Collections and Products and noticed that collections/update isn't working.

Thanks.

kishinmanglani
Shopify Partner
26 0 13

Any update on this?

nick-mealey
Shopify Expert
49 0 30

I'm also experiencing this problem. Any other webhook seems to fire, but not the one I need 😞

Helium Development Shopify Developer, Website Design, App Development

JohnAtBonify
Shopify Partner
136 7 34

This issue is 5 months old now, any update on why this is happening?

Obviously, updating a collection image/title/description should trigger the update webhook.

Can we get this fixed please?

nick-mealey
Shopify Expert
49 0 30

Any updates on this?

Mike_Potter
Shopify Partner
81 0 15

This seems to be working fine for me now. 

Mike

Co-Founder, Rewind (Backups for Shopify). Apps: Rewind, Shopify Staging (setup test and staging Shopify stores).

Mike_Potter
Shopify Partner
81 0 15

Actually I'm seeing that delete webhooks are being called, but updates are not being called.

For example, when I update the title of a collection the update webhook is not sent.

Mike

Co-Founder, Rewind (Backups for Shopify). Apps: Rewind, Shopify Staging (setup test and staging Shopify stores).

JohnAtBonify
Shopify Partner
136 7 34

What exactly is working fine? It still appears that updating collection name, description, conditions does not trigger a collection-update webhook.

nick-mealey
Shopify Expert
49 0 30

I'm still seeing the same issue here.

klerik1
Visitor
2 0 0

The issue is still here.

Saving a collection with changed title, description, or visibility doesn't fire a webhook. This issue basically ruins half of our app's functionality.

I'm really surprised the Shopify team hasn't resolved the issue or even given any comments about it.

klerik1
Visitor
2 0 0

The issue is still here.

Saving a collection with changed title, description, or visibility doesn't fire a webhook. This issue basically ruins half of our app's functionality.

I'm really surprised the Shopify team hasn't resolved the issue or even given any comments about it.

ReloadSEO
Shopify Partner
48 0 17

Any word on this?

Kabuki_Themes
Shopify Expert
59 0 20

We are experiencing the same problem. We are using webhooks to update the data in our apps so with the collections update/delete webhooks not working we will have to periodically get all collections for a customer. This will be inconvinient for us as well as for Shopify.

Can someone from Shopify give us a comment on this?

Beautiful and responsive Shopify themes crafted with care at www.kabukithemes.com.

nick-mealey
Shopify Expert
49 0 30

So I've noticed some event do actually trigger a webhook to fire. It seems as though when you add a product to a collection it sends the webhook. However, it seems they still don't fire for:

1. Update collection details (eg. title, handle, image, etc.)

2. Adding a product to a collection from with the product page.

Gustavo3
Shopify Partner
35 0 6

guys, 1y and nothing has been done.. 

Chris78
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

Gustavo, I just ran into this same issue yesterday and I reached out to shopify about it. I referenced this thread to so we'll see if anything happens. 

Gustavo3
Shopify Partner
35 0 6

Thanks for letting us know Chris.

Jason_Buehler
Excursionist
12 0 4

This is happening for one of my apps, I need this webhook to work, please please please fix this issue Shopify. I am not sure how this could have possibly been broken for this long. And the silence from Shopify's side is somewhat disturbing too. 

Jamie_D_
Shopify Staff (Retired)
533 1 92

Hi all,

The collections/update webhook is only fired when a product is added or removed from the collection.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Jason_Buehler
Excursionist
12 0 4

Hi Jamie, thanks for the clarification. This product definition feels like a departure from the consistency of the rest of the api. It seems like I can subscribe to collections#update and get notifications about changes to collects, which have no webhook of their own and are not included in this webhook response, so I have to actually go and reingest/resync to them completely for this collection on this webhook. To get changes made to an actual collection resource I have no way of being notified so I need to poll. Does that sound accurate? If so, this api is in dire need of redesign. It is not resourceful or, to be quite honest, useful really. There should be a collections#update webhook that notifies of changes on a collection and also a set of collects webhooks that notify of changes to the collects relations. Is there a reason that the api is not designed this way?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Jason

Phil_Pearl
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hi Jamie

I don't think the collections webhook is working properly even with your definition. I see collections/update if I add a product to a collection on the /admin/collections page, but if I add products to a collection via a bulk action on the /admin/products page the webhook does not fire.

As you can imagine this leaves me with unhappy customers.

Can we get this fixed?

Phil

Michael116
Visitor
2 0 0

The collections/update webhook is only fired when a product is added or removed from the collection.

I just ran into the error those here describe.

If I add/remove a collection on the product page (instead of adding a product to a collection via the collections page), the only webhook that fires is the product update.

This isn't expected behaviour as the collection's collect object is mutated but fires no event. 

joyrexus
5 0 0

The official response to this post suggests this issue has been resolved, viz. the `collections/update` event is now fired when a collection is updated.

Can anyone confirm?

Derek_Morin
Shopify Expert
216 1 34

It's not fixed. We have the same problem. 

Perice
Shopify Partner
9 0 1

Agreed - it's not fixed.

How to replicate:

1) Add a product that should appear in a smart collection

2) Product gets added to the smart collection and its updated_at is changed

3) However, the only hooks I get are products/create and products/update

Awesome Store Apps for your Shopify store - https://awesomestoreapps.com/