Colorado Sales Tax Debacle - Can I create Tax Overrides and Upload monthly tax rates to be used?

Solved
Jroyce1180
Pathfinder
85 4 14

I am trying to resolve the nearly impossible Colorado Sales Tax situation. A company called TTR has been accepted as the Source of Truth for all Sales Tax rates of Colorado State. I want to build an app for Colorado merchants to access these rates for their transactions.

Is it possible to use the Tax Overrides feature that Shopify has to upload all the specific tax rates for Colorado and have these used in transactions that deliver to the Colorado addresses?

I would like to know if this is possible (obviously I would be programming the upload feature and programatically assigning the tax rates to the tax overrides) before I start working on this project.

0 Likes
Greg_Kujawa
Shopify Partner
965 80 204

This is an accepted solution.

I recall seeing a few posts you've made regarding this same question as well as a few replies to older posts (https://community.shopify.com/c/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/691593). Based on the responses I don't believe this is possible through existing Shopify API endpoints. As I've replied on other posts, the only scenario I've heard where overriding native Shopify sales tax calculations is possible is when a Shopify Plus client installs an Avalara app plug-in. However Avalara partnered with Shopify to develop, create, approve, and publish this app is the route you'll need to take if you'd like to get something similar released.

Hopefully someone from Shopify responds so you can get a point in the right direction. There are at least 4-5 US states that I'm aware of that have oddball sales tax scenarios. Likely more. So I'm sure there is a legitimate need for this outside of Shopify Plus customers who use Avalara!

0 Likes