Complete Checkout for a Custom Shopify Store

samiam0906
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Hi Shopify, I have created a custom front end for a Shopify storefront using React. The code is currently using the JS buy sdk to make use of Shopify's storefront api. This is great so far, but when it comes to the checkout flow, I am hitting a wall. What i want to be able to do is have a custom checkout flow where a user can submit payment information and complete the checkout process without having to use the provided checkout webUrl.

I changed my code to integrate Apollo so that I can make graphql queries and mutations using the storefront api. I figured this would allow me to have complete control over checkout, but I am ultimately met with "CheckoutCompleteWithCreditCardV2 access denied" when trying to complete the payment through my code. According to the docs and forum posts I've read, you need to turn your app into a sales channel app and request payment processing to use Shopify's checkoutCompleteWithCreditCardV2 mutation. Then you have to wait to see if they'll allow us to process payments, which could take up to 7 business days. Additionally, an app has to meet certain configuration requirements and this use case violates two prohibited configurations: 1. Apps that act as a payment gateway, or apps that modify an existing payment gateway and 2. Apps that alter or process payments outside of Shopify's checkout. 

So with all that said, can someone tell me if what I am trying to do is possible through Shopify?  Am I wasting my time endlessly searching for ways to create a custom end-to-end checkout experience in my Shopify store? 

Thank you in advance!

Replies 3 (3)

BradKrane
Shopify Partner
44 4 10

@samiam0906 wrote:

What i want to be able to do is have a custom checkout flow where a user can submit payment information and complete the checkout process without having to use the provided checkout webUrl.

I'm curious why deal with payment processing? It's generally better to let someone else handle it.

Additionally, an app has to meet certain configuration requirements and this use case violates two prohibited configurations: 1. Apps that act as a payment gateway, or apps that modify an existing payment gateway and 2. Apps that alter or process payments outside of Shopify's checkout. 

So with all that said, can someone tell me if what I am trying to do is possible through Shopify?  Am I wasting my time endlessly searching for ways to create a custom end-to-end checkout experience in my Shopify store? 

You kind of answered your own question there, unless you're willing to invest the time working with Shopify to get exactly what you want.

It should be possible to get close to full custom end-to-end with checkout.liquid and what you've already done, but not that last payment bit without what I would think would be quite an investment.

samiam0906
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Thanks @BradKrane 

I don't ultimately want to handle the payment process myself, I would like to pass payment data to the shopify system the same way the buy sdk would. However, it seems like passing the payment details and the processing of the payment are intermingled in shopify.

bpav
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

It is astounding a major player like shopify hasn't figured this out. Some of us have huge legacy systems that accept payments already for other situations and ALSO sell products via shopify. We would like an easy upsell option where the customer does not have to checkout AGAIN on shopify.