Compress the results of GraphQL bulk queries with gzip

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
27 1 4

Results of the bulk query API can be pretty large, and very redundant due in large part to the long ID format of the GraphQL API (gid://...). I've tried downloading the JSONL file with Accept-Encoding: gzip, however it doesn't seem to work. I think Shopify is using Google Cloud Storage? It seems that if the original file is uploaded with Content-Encoding: gzip, then Google will serve the file either uncompressed when the Accept-Encoding header is absent (so it shouldn't break anything), or compressed when present:

https://cloud.google.com/storage/docs/transcoding

Is there any chance Shopify could implement this? As an example, a request I made resulted in 4.2MB of JSONL. With gzip compression, that same file was just 300KB.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
582 71 127

Hey @kelseyjudson,

Thanks for this, I'll forward this feedback to our product teams who manage this API. I can't make any promises as to if/when this will be implemented, but can make sure the right people have this information.

JB | Developer Support @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
27 1 4

Thanks @_JB I hope something comes of it. Is there any chance I can be notified if anything happens?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
27 1 4

@_JB, Not sure if you missed my message, but is it possible I could be notified if this is changed? I don't want to miss out on it on the odd chance it happens.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
582 71 127

Hey @kelseyjudson,

Will do, I've linked this post to the feedback I sent up, so if/when I get notified that something has changed, I'll post back here with that info. 

JB | Developer Support @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes