Connect main domain to subdomain to redirect based on IP address

Solved
michfa
Tourist
7 0 1

I currently have a 'www.example.com' main domain which I use to sell my products locally in Panama. Basically, I want to replicate my page for the US market, and make the IP address of any US user redirect them from my 'www.example.com' to a www.exampleusa.com website, as I would need to manage separate inventories. I have read that I need to create a second shopify store and set it up all over again (because of the inventory), but then I'm stuck in trying to figure out what would the next step be for connecting my main domain to one that US users can see exclusively once they go to it, based on their geo location. I also don't understand if I would need to buy another domain, or if from my current main domain I can create a subdomain which maybe ends in www.exampleusa.us or www.exampleusa.shop instead of .com.

Also, I've read online that GEO IP redirects can impact my SEO and that Google says to avoid this. So I'm pretty confused to how to handle this situation.

Any insight would be extremely appreciated!! 

thank you so much in advance

0 Likes
MichaelGeo
Explorer
191 3 13

This is an accepted solution.

Hi there!

While reading through your case, it looks like IP Geo Redirect is the solution for you. While regarding your concern about SEO, as long as you having your settings correctly, it won't be an issue.

Here are some more details. You could potentially set up geo redirecting for your main domain landing page. With IP Geo Redirect technology, you could set up geo location segment of Panama, and associate with the original domain. You could set up another geolocation segment of US, and associate with the new URL link. Thus, if you visit from the US clicking original URL link, it will automatically redirect visitors to your US URL. There are tools you could simply set up redirecting rules within a few steps, and no code is necessary. For example, you could check Geo Targetly, and its Geo Redirect tool.

Regarding your concerns about SEO. As multi-regional websites incorporate multiple versions of the same page with slight content variations, it could potentially get duplicate content penalisation from google. But if you set up hreflang tags correctly and help google understand it is a multi-regional website, it could avoid the penalty and won't effect your SEO. For more details, you could look at the post: https://geotargetly.com/geo-ip-location-redirects-and-seo, and https://geotargetly.com/hreflang-seo-guide-for-multilingual-regional-websites.

Hope it helps!

michfa
Tourist
7 0 1

Thank you so much, that really helped out!!

0 Likes