Creating Discount Description

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
9 0 0

When using coupons we run into people stealing our coupon names and sharing them with couponing sites like RetailMeNot and Slickdeals, which destroys our margins and our ability to provide 1-to-1 coupons. We are migrating from a homegrown CMS over to Shopify and have found that we get a better conversion rate when we show the description of what a user gets from the coupon rather than the coupon name. However, Shopify does not have a field where we can add coupon description then call it into a template. I am looking for a work around to accomplish this, Shopify has recommended building an App that does this but I am not sure where to start. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1840 177 711

You could of course create an app. An app to store discount descriptions (I am assuming you meant discount code when you say coupons) is rather overkill in my opinion.

I'd simply use metafields on your shop resource. Namespace can be discount-description, key can be the discount code itself in order to match them, and you can use a string value to store the description. Then you can easily read the metafields for matched discount codes in your Liquid templates where you need to show the description.

Just my 2c which I hope help you avoid "complexification" 🙄

Liked this post? You might also like our fantastic upsell apps Candy Rack and Candy Cart or offer free gifts with Gift Box. All made with ❤️  and care by Digismoothie
1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

Awesome reply Karl! 
Can this be achieved also with Metafields Editors (apps)?

0 Likes