Creating a usage charge over $10,000

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
53 1 11

Hello,

We are using usage charges in our Shopify app to bill customers for usage.  However a specific customer has agreed to an run up a large usage charge(near $70,000).  When attempting to add this charge using the API the API returns 

Price must be less than or equal to 10000

We have incurred large costs serving this merchant and need to be able to bill them to makeup our costs.  As per our agreement with Shopify we need to bill them through the Shopify API.  Can Shopify please enable larger charges so we can bill our customers appropriately. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
53 1 11

We ended up breaking up our usage charge into multiple charges.

However this was quite surprising and frustrating to run into unexpectedly.  It would be much better if this was documented somewhere so we would have known to expect this. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
493 98 88

Hey @Corknine 

What did you set for the capped amount upon install? https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/your-account/manage-billing/your-invoice/apps#app-usage-charges

Vix | Developer Support @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
53 1 11

The capped charge amount is set to $100,000 but it seems usage charges are limited to $10,000 per charge

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
493 98 88

Thanks @Corknine  - A single usage charge can’t exceed 10K, but there is no limit on capped_amount. Processing multiple captures is the ideal way to handle this. I will look into adding a note into the docs to prevent further confusion. 

Vix | Developer Support @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes