Currency conversion and Calculated Shipping Rates

icgtec
9 0 0

Dear partners, 

The store's main currency is EUR with USD currency enabled as a secondary option. 

We use our own app for shipping rate management. When I check the logs for the response to CarrierService request I see that my app returns the following rate:

{"rates":[{"service_name":"UPS Standard USD","service_code":"UPS","total_price":1000,"currency":"USD","description":"Premium courrier service within 48 hours"}]}

However, when purchasing in USD, the actual checkout page shows 10.16 USD  which looks a lot like the currency conversion rate being added to a shipping rate, which seems odd. I want customers to see $10 and the conversion is something for me, Shopify, and payment gateway to care.

Screenshot 2021-02-16 at 12.38.59.jpg

Possibly, I miss some setting (played around with rounding, manual conversion rate, nothing helped). 

Your help is very much appreciated! I believe this question mayb be not API-related and has something to do with store settings.

0 Likes
icgtec
9 0 0

Anyone?

I'll simplify it all to one question:

How can I set up the store / or carrier service so that the Third-party carrier-calculated shipping rates are shown exactly as it's being sent in response?

Example: 

"total_price":1000,"currency":"USD"

Should show up as $10 for the store if customer's presentment currency is set to USD, even if default currency is GBP. Considering the fact Shopify's rounding is not applied to shipping rates, we cannot ensure "friendly" pricing for multi-currency orders in any way.  

0 Likes
icgtec
9 0 0

Update: 

After investigating the issue with a few of our multi-currency merchants, it looks like:

When the base store currency is different from the one sent in CarrierService response, it is first converted to the base store currency and then converted back to presentment currency. E.g.

Merchant's store default currency: GBP

Merchant's EUR rate specified manually: 1.45 with rounding to .00

When 50 GBP is sent back as a response with user checking out in EUR: we get 72.50 (50 GBP * 1.45 = 72.5 EUR)

When 50 EUR is sent back as a response with user checking out in EUR: we get 43.70 GBP (looks like Shopify's fx rate applied) * 1.45 (client manual rate) = 63.22

I have no idea why would you do the double conversion here and I really need this to be addressed. 

0 Likes
icgtec
9 0 0

Anyone?

0 Likes