Custom Carrier Service not requesting rates from our carrier callback url

Shopify Partner
8 0 3

This is frustrating, we need better visibility on requests which are being made so that we can diagnose problems such as this.

The back and forth with Shopify support to identify the problem is clearly not productive.

Regular support does not deal with issues such as this. It has to be escalated to the "Technical team" which is a roadblock which slows the process down.

Shipping is a crucial part of the checkout phase for many stores and should be treated as a priority.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
43 0 5

I've just asked like 50 shops with active carrier service to report any issues, will report results here tomorrow. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

We have been subject to this issue for one of our largest retail clients for more than 26 hours now. The vast majority of requests for shipping options are never reaching our backend server from the Shopify Carrier Service.

This issue has all but taken down our checkout since yesterday morning.

Unfortunately, it is impossible for us to implement any reliable workarounds as our client has complicated business rules which are handled by the custom shipping endpoint we engineered for them.

We have received the same experience as many others in this thread. Since the "USPS issue" was reported on the Shopify status page, our checkout has been unavailable (although we do not use USPS but our own carrier service).

We have been given the run around by support for more than 24 hours and been asked to prove multiple times that this is not our backend service which is the issue. We can see from our logs that Shopify is never attempting to contact the backend, it's simply returning zero shipping options to the frontend.

This is an absolute clanger for us as our client has already lost thousands of dollars in sales throughout the day as customer are unable to checkout.

Unfortunately, I think that as a previous poster mentioned, not many people utilise the Shopify Carrier Service so this is not being treated as a high-prority issue.

We have tech support tickets already open with Shopify (currently with little success) and our MSM is helping us as best as he can. Unfortunately, it seems the engineers that have the ability to investigate or fix this issue are not engaged.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

I have just noticed that Shopify have posted a status update for this exact issue (no longer being determined to be a USPS issue).

https://status.shopify.com/incidents/k0wskw6lfgk0

0 Likes
Trailblazer
193 0 87

It would be nice to get Alex Richter in here and let us know the status with regards to the incident report posted by Shopify saying this is resolved. For me, I'm going to leave on my temporary shipping options for a bit until I've got confirmations from others that this is infact resolved.

---

@Dan Greaves, shopify support for the most part is fairly useless for stuff like this. You'll need to escalate higher to get anyone useful on the tech team.

It would be nice, if developers, could choose to talk straight to a developer support, when it's needed. I actually got yelled at by my support ticket people for asking for my ticket to get escalated to technical people, as I could tell, they were asking the wrong questions.

I've found the best way, is to actually band together with others in threads like this and work it out in public, instead of each of us invididually doing it in private. We can learn from each other & also it should be less resources for Shopify, as they can deal with us in one place. It also allows others who run into the same problem, to read the forum threads, and get a jump start on what the issue is.

I've found doing it this way, actually gets you more useful technical information, and helps speed the process along, because if it's a large enough issue, and it's ignored, it looks really bad for Shopify. If you do it privately, you can be easily ignored & writen off.

1 Like
Trailblazer
193 0 87

Also some things I'd like added to carrierService API.

Access to discount/coupon information, so that we can use that information when returning shipping prices. Others want this feature as well.

Ability to provide "carrierService is not working" default shipping options, when creating carrierService API endpoints. This would be helpful to avoid issues like this. This is not the first time, carrierService has gone down for me, so it would be nice to add some default flatrate shipping options, which would show up if carrierService is not able to return values for any reason.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

I am experiencing close to 100% downtime on my custom carrier rates. This has cost us nearly 100% of sales the last 3 days and customer support did not even take me seriously. This is obviously a problem on Shopifys side and the problem is to this very minute still persisting.

I see no incoming requests to my api from Shopify, while it works perfectly from my uptime monitoring and my local API-testing software. There are no SSL issues that I can see.

I had this problem earlier this year, before it went away again. Now it is back and worse than last time. Please fix this asap or I will have to start migrating away from Shopify.

0 Likes
Trailblazer
193 0 87

@Dag, a temporary solution is to enable some fixed rate shipping options in Shopify.

I've added a $6 slow & $12 fast shipping option to my stores. While it's not the exact rates I'd normally charge and I am losing money on shipping, I'm still getting sales, which is better than no sales.

I'd suggest you do the same, providing you're able to eat the costs a little. You can always refund orders to customers, which are not profitable. Not ideal, but better than no sales.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

I am not in a position to refund orders just because they are not profitable. I am left with either giving everyone a very expensive shipping option or potentially losing a lot on certain items.

The fact that Shopify did not detect this error on their own, and seem unable to properly debug it and fix it, is very worrying to me. It indicates at the very least that they do not have proper monitoring of these requests.

When these requests fail Shopify should

1) Know right away

2) Begin fixing the issue

3) Automatically notify shops and app developers

0 Likes
Trailblazer
193 0 87

I highly agree that at the very least, notifications need to be sent to shop owners when crtical systems are down. I've personally noticed a pattern of sweeping things under the rug and hoping customers won't notice. Which is unfortunate.

But you also must be new to shopify, as downtime is kinda part of the experience :D Granted, they've been much better in the past couple years.

My suggestion would be to add very expensive shipping and also add a notice to your website that there are currently issues with Shipping price calculation. Manually calculate the shipping price and refund the difference. Provide an email signup form for your customers to be notified once your website is back up. If they really want your products, they'll appreciate the honesty and come back.

Additionally once this issue is resolved, I would suggest going through your abandonned carts and emailing those customers and telling them that the shipping issue has been resolved. You might as well email them now, stating that you've been experiencing issues, and that once it's fully resolved, you'll let them know when it's appropriate to come back.

There's nothing you can really do except wait until this is fully resolved on their end. But it's a good exercise to make sure you have contingencies in place for when this stuff happens in the future. Because it will happen in the future. 

As I mentioned in my previous post, I had a couple hours of downtime the day of May 23rd, which everyone here probably had as well, but because it was for a short period, most of us probably didn't look into it much (including me). CarrierServices for me have issues consistently, as my customers let me know about it when it does happen. Usually every 1-2 months or something. So be warned.

0 Likes