Custom Tax via API

Highlighted
4 0 0

Apologies if this is in the wrong place but I am keenly interested in getting this done via API first and foremost.

I have a need to be able to set the tax for an item via API. The tax is a function of the number of liquid ounces in this particular item NOT a function of the sale price.

So I have 3 questions:

1) Can I set the tax of a variant via API?

2) Can I set tax as a fixed rate or other formula instead of a percentage of sale price?

3) Can I set the tax dependent on region? I'm dealing specifcally with a Philadelphia Beverage Tax but my clients sell to other parts of PA as well as NJ and DE.

Any of this in the realm of possibility? Whether it's via Shopify proper or an app?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1041 140 165

Hey @hanleyhansen

Unfortunately not, taxes can only be set via Shop settings.

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

It doesn't look like there's any way to add a custom tax rate that's not a percentage of the price. This is crucial to the Philly Beverage Tax. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 2

Hey @hanleyhansen 

Did you find a way around this issue?

I also need to calculate tax based on a different value than the Product Price.

Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
530 38 109

While not the exact same scenario as y'all have, but we needed to account for Tennessee's tiered tax. Out of the box Shopify POS cannot handle this. The solution was proposed as we upgrade to Shopify Plus, which would then expose us to the paid Avalara tax plug-in. For a fair amount of extra cost we would then have proper tax handling. That seemed to be the only way around things, as we couldn't modify taxes via the API through a custom Edit Cart function. 

0 Likes