Customer registration/sending additional fields with webhook

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 0

Hi,

I'm trying to receive some additional form information in my shopify app when a user submits a registration form. I was wondering if a possible way to do this was by creating a webhook which sent some additional metadata as part of its request whenever a user creates an account.

If not, is it possible to create my own personal registration form which has the same exact functionality as the shopify registration, but has a couple additional fields and is handled by my application. To do so I would need to both create a customer account and immediately log that customer in from my application to simulate the shopify process.

I'm very new to app development in shopify so any guidance would be a big help.

Thanks so much!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
933 122 131

Hey @brodrig,

One approach would be to collect this information with a notes field. Keep in mind the notes are show in the admin.

Alternatively, you could replace the customer registration form with your own, and use the Customer API to create the account.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 0

Thanks @scottydont,

I was thinking about using Customer API, however, I want to create a registration process similar to Shopify's default where it logs you in immediately when you register. From what I can tell this isn't possible from the Customer API because it can't sign a user in, is this correct? Do you think I could work around this?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
933 122 131

If you're working with a Plus merchant, Multipass can help with that.

Otherwise you'd need to submit the login form on the customer's behalf, which would have its own complications.

0 Likes