Customer's default address is always getting replaced with order shipping address

Shopify Partner
26 1 8

Hello Shopify team, 

Whenever we're creating an order with an existing customer, customer's default address is always getting replaced with shipping address. 

Also, while creating an order with a new customer, it's always assigning shipping address as default one. Is this expected behavior?

3 Likes
Shopify Partner
107 0 11

We have this problem as well!

Shopify expert, software developer and designer.
4 Likes
Shopify Partner
26 1 8

Shopify Team, any update on this?

2 Likes
Shopify Partner
12 0 2

My client is also having this issue and is hoping that it's a bug (not a feature) that can be fixed.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

Just spoke to Shopify support. Looks like this is not a bug but a desired feature. Shopify assumes that the individual has moved our wants to change the default address.

1 Like
1 0 3

This really needs to be fixed, customer can always change default if they want, causing many issues with customer order going to the wrong address. Can't shopify just create a boolean flag to change default on the order (preferences). I have no logical idea why they have this set to change every timer you ship to a different address. It also causes issues with our ERP as who knows what the contact info for the customer is.

3 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

I couldnt agree more - I see this as an apalling bug - it is certainly ot a desired feature.

@spadae22 wrote:

This really needs to be fixed, customer can always change default if they want, causing many issues with customer order going to the wrong address. Can't shopify just create a boolean flag to change default on the order (preferences). I have no logical idea why they have this set to change every timer you ship to a different address. It also causes issues with our ERP as who knows what the contact info for the customer is.

1 Like
Tourist
9 0 5

Christmas came a bit late for this thread, but better late than never. The app I built to fix this exact problem just got approved today in the app store:

https://apps.shopify.com/no-auto-default-address-swap

It does exactly what you'd expect: prevents Shopify from auto-updating the default address for a customer whenever an order is placed. It also still allows for manual updates to the default address. There's a 7 day free trial if you choose a subscription plan, or a one-time fee option as well.

Feel free to direct message me if you have any questions. If this app helps you, I'd really appreciate it if you could leave a review in the app store so other merchants can find it.

Adam Tzagournis
Sound Onyx Inc
https://apps.shopify.com/partners/sound-onyx-inc
0 Likes