Daily variant creation limit reached when updating products

Excursionist
25 0 5

I received an error rejecting my Product/Variant updates due to a "Daily variant creation limit reached". I attempted to push up an update with 530 Products & 3800 Variants and they were all rejected. I have 11,200 Products & 52,000 Variants on this store currently.

I already throttle my API calls based on Shopify's leaky bucket system, but this appears to be a separate limit?

Here's the exact response below:

{
"product": [
"Daily variant creation limit reached. Please try again later. See https://help.shopify.com/en/api/getting-started/api-call-limit for more information about rate limits and how to avoid them."
]
}

I followed the link in the response and, as far as I can tell, it provides almost no details on this limit. I can't find any information about a daily limit.

Does anyone know where I can find more information about this? I'd love to know what the daily limit even is, as I can't even find that.

Thanks!

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1113 77 153

Hey Conner, 

I'll respond to you here instead of the other thread where we had discussed this briefly. Currently, once a shop goes over 50,000 variants this variant creation limit will kick in - and then the limit is 1,000 new variants per day. This limit is subject to change at any time, but I have not heard of any plans to do so.

You're right though in that this should be more clearly documented, so I'll advocate for that internally here and try to get something posted for others in the future. 

0 Likes
1 0 1

the docs are not updated. Im also getting hit with this error, but im not sure if this logic is really working-- i certainly am not creating 1k variants /day and still get this error.  so i need more information to troubleshoot this issue. thanks

1 Like
Excursionist
25 0 5

@dmhliu , are you updating 1000+ Variants per day? It may be possible that you're actually deleting/re-creating them.

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi Josh,

What if i upgrade my shopify plan from Free to paid or this limit is for everyone?

Regards,

fayalif

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1113 77 153

Hi @fayalif , 

This limit is for everybody, excluding shops on the Shopify Plus plan. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

I am using Advanced Shopify plan still getting this error. I am trying to import the products from a csv file. And i am reciving the following error in my email..

62 Products failed to import.

Failed or ignored items won't affect the database. You can re-upload these after fixing the problem fields.

Failed:

0 Likes