Debugging Webhook

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

I'm working on an integration using Webhooks to call a system that I don't have a lot of visibility into (no direct access to the server, no access/error logs, etc).  What I do have is a script that can log what it receives once the request arrives, but I never actually get my script triggered.

I've been able to get the Webhooks working just fine when pointing at a server of my own - no problems at all.  I've also been able to hit the real remote server manually and that works.  But when Shopify sends the webhook to the real server, I get nothing at all.

So my question is whether there's any way to see what the issue is on the Shopify side.  I've submitted a support request but haven't heard back yet.  And if there's something I can do, I'd happily go do it in order to see what's causing the problem.

Thanks,

Stefan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
582 0 48

Is the webhook correctly registered with the server. Have you tried using local tunnel to get webhooks sent to your local machine so you can see where your script is breaking?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Well, the problem is I've already got it working when pointed at a different (private) server.  But on the actual server I need to hit, I get no evidence of the request on that server.  Unfortunately, as I mentioned, I don't have access to logs and things on that server to tell what's going on.  I just know my script on the real server never gets executed.

Therefore, I'm thinking it's not on Shopify's end, but am hoping that I could get someone at Shopify to tell me what the response is to the webhook.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
30 0 8

You could always use a library like curl to send your own http request to the real server and see what you get.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Thanks, Charlie.  I did already do that

I've also been able to hit the real remote server manually and that works.

I didn't use cURL, though, I used the Chrome REST Console app.  No problems there.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I have the same problem. Can we at least see logs

@Stefan_Podell wrote:

I'm working on an integration using Webhooks to call a system that I don't have a lot of visibility into (no direct access to the server, no access/error logs, etc).  What I do have is a script that can log what it receives once the request arrives, but I never actually get my script triggered.

I've been able to get the Webhooks working just fine when pointing at a server of my own - no problems at all.  I've also been able to hit the real remote server manually and that works.  But when Shopify sends the webhook to the real server, I get nothing at all.

So my question is whether there's any way to see what the issue is on the Shopify side.  I've submitted a support request but haven't heard back yet.  And if there's something I can do, I'd happily go do it in order to see what's causing the problem.

Thanks,

Stefan

I have the same problem is there a way to see logs ?

0 Likes