Default API Token Access Changed?

Solved
Tourist
6 0 1

@Alex wrote:

Hey everyone,

I can confirm that we shipped some validation to prevent the scraping of products/collections using the online store's storefront access token as this does not fall under supported use of our APIs.

Cheers.

In hindsight, @Alex Shopify's own documentation says this is supported use of your API. I believe this means this change was an error which will hopefully be fixed in the next shipment. If this change is correct then this would make application development much harder as there is no longer a viable product feed provided. If this explanation is incorrect however, please do explain where the disconnect was on the team. It does sound like a hastily made change in error though considering the very well documented use. 

1 Like
2 0 0

Glad shopify took our report seriously. Good luck picking up the off-white air max 90s tomorrow :peace-sign:

0 Likes
2 0 0

Glad shopify took our report seriously. Good luck picking up the off-white air max 90s tomorrow :peace-sign:

@guap wrote:

We have been using the default (public) API Access Token on different sites to pull the latest product changes. At 4:55pm EST, these requests began getting denied. Have permissions on these default API Tokens changed? Just looking at https://status.shopify.com/, you can clearly see that "API Response Time" dropped to 70ms. I am assuming that this change took place at this time. Any help or info would be much appreciated! Thank you.

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 1

I'm not sure what you reported exactly but, disabling a well documented and officially supported API sounds like a mistake on their end. Hopefully our reports of this error are taken more seriously than one to erroneously disable them. 

@RonnieFieg wrote:

0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1222 35 175

Hey everyone, to clarify:

We have not disabled the storefront API itself. We have disabled the use of a specific access token which is intended to be used internally. Using the storefront access token leveraged by the storefront itself (not generated by one of yours apps) is what is considered non-supported use of the Shopify storefront API.

If any of you are having trouble using storefront access tokens you yourselves have generated in either a private app, or an app created in your partner dashboard, please feel free to let me know. Additionally, if there's any usage of this strategy in our documentation, also please let me know, since we certainly wouldn't intend this.

Using my own storefront access tokens is working without issue on my end, so I'd be curious to see if this is affecting any access tokens belonging to your apps. If that is the case, feel free to pass along information I can use to replicate on my end.

Cheers.

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 1

Thank you for that clarification @Alex it's greatly appreciated. Apologies for the confusion and the tone of many of the replies here. As far as product feeds then for developing without a generated access token, is there an alternative feed for products in Shopify that works similarly?

Cheers

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1222 35 175

@NorwayIsAwesome I don't believe there is any other means to consume a product feed, no. At least not that I am aware of through non-API means.

Cheers.

0 Likes
4 0 0

Hi there Alex, i have a problem we have a lot of shopify shops integrated with our app, and we have receiving tons (literally) of "unavailable shops "

also a lot of messages saying that we have problems with the access token,
what can we do to fix it?
Many of our customers are changing to other apps thanks to this.

0 Likes
2 0 0
Hi can i have the username of shopify for api grant permission on paypal?
0 Likes
3 0 0

I am getting access denied with my storefront Key, check the link below for full details:

https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-APIs-SDKs/access-denied-when-retrieving-product-details-Mobi...

0 Likes