Determine which location to use for a fulfillment through the API when stock is tracked by Shopify

Tourist
6 0 3

We have a similar setup - our own warehouse, 3PL, and many drop ship suppliers.  We opted to NOT use the multi-location feature in Shopify because of this.  I chatted with Shopify dev regarding the issue and it sounded like there is a forthcoming beta that would give you more control over draft fulfillments; however, there would still be limitations with how the system would prioritize selecting a location.  For example, you could not easily, setup a rule so that the nearest warehouse to the customer was used for fulfillment.

At a high-level we process the Shopify create order webhook, and then in our backend determine who / how to fulfill.  We then send the orders to the appropriate fulfillment provider.

0 Likes
2 0 0

Thanks for the help tjmoretto  and Thomas_Lang1. Wish it were otherwise - will keep my eyes peeled for this beta!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
134 4 14

I got pointed to this document from a shopify success manager, seems like new functionality is in the DEV api ready to be tested:

https://developers.shopify.com/changelog/manage-fulfillments-with-greater-control-using-our-new-fulf...

so it should become available soon.

1 Like