Developer there's no way for our custom inventory app to work on POS iPad

Highlighted
4 0 0

Hello,

We have a much needed custom inventory tracking app built for our online store. I was surprised to learn that the app isn't tracking POS sales. The developer says it's not possible. He's a good guy and wrote us a great app, so I have no reason to doubt him. But then I read about the App Bridge, etc. and wonder what I'm missing.

Is it possible for our custom inventory tracking app to track POS sales as well as web sales?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
173 13 28

Can you provide more details on what the app does? Is it doing stuff with the Shopify API after the fact, or does something happen in real time in the web shopping cart? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Afraid I don't know. Shopify's native inventory tracking only measures in units. We sell products by the ounce/fraction of an ounce. So, if we have 10 oz in stock and someone buys a 1/2 oz, our custom inventory app reduces our total stock by half an ounce, rather than by one unit. For all of these products, the native Shopify track inventory function is turned off. 

Here's exactly what the app developer told us:

Me: Is it possible to create a solution that tracks inventory from both online and POS sales? 
Developer: ---- No, because POS system doesn't provide to edit functionality or add custom functionality.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
173 13 28

I still don't have enough information on how exactly the mechanics of your app works and your developer's response isn't descriptive, but even with that imperfect information I would wager that what you're trying to achieve should be possible. 

0 Likes