Development Store > Payment Testing Changes

Ceri-Waters
Shopify Partner
69 4 13

Hi Shopify,

So I've just read about the upcoming changes to payment testing on development stores - https://help.shopify.com/en/partners/dashboard/managing-stores/test-orders-in-dev-stores

How is this going to work with developers who work with the Draft Order API for their apps?

I can't see a way to setup a Draft Order via the API in test mode for the transaction?

This means that when the Draft Orders gets converted into an Order (pending or completed) - it's not actually possible to visit the order because 'The stores trial has expired'.

Thanks,
Ceri.

0 Likes
Ceri-Waters
Shopify Partner
69 4 13

As an example, here is a Draft Order that has been completed (but marked as pending) - even when you send a 'test' parameter the transaction comes back as test:false. Annotation 2020-09-10 095123.png

0 Likes
Ceri-Waters
Shopify Partner
69 4 13

*boop*

0 Likes
_JB
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
809 95 176

Hey @Ceri-Waters,

You can send test: true on the order object to mark the order as a test, but keep in mind that regardless of whether the order/transaction are marked as a test, the "Checkout disabled" message will continue to show up once the store passes 50 test orders. You can still use the API to create additional test orders, but you won't be able to access the checkout or order status pages once you pass 50.

JB | Developer Support @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

0 Likes
Ceri-Waters
Shopify Partner
69 4 13

Hi JB,

Thanks for the response.

I actually have since Spoke to a few Staff Members (Ticket 19581966) and they've indicated going forward (because of the new changes) any orders created by the Draft Order API will need to be done on a paid store. The same goes for payments that are done via a 'Manual' Payment Method.

It's a bit unfortunate as it now means that any App Developers maintaining or creating an App that utilizes the Draft Order API (or Manual Payment Methods) have to pay for a Shopify Store (which can become expensive if your App has different capabilties depending on the package).

Previously we were able to get the 50 Test Orders extended (within reason), but this is no longer the case.

Thanks,
Ceri.