Difference between order.line_items.origin_location and fulfillment_order.assigned_location?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
98 2 13

Given an order line item not yet fulfilled, we need to figure out which location the item will be fulfilled from.

Should we use line_item.origin_location? Or grab the corresponding fulfillment order and check the assigned location?

What is the difference between the two?

What happens when the merchants reassigns the item to a different fulfillment location in the Shopify admin?

edit: In addition we noticed an undocumented line_item.destination_location . What is it used for? so many location fields...

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1041 140 165

Hey @ClementBR 

Should we use line_item.origin_location? Or grab the corresponding fulfillment order and check the assigned location? What is the difference between the two?

Look up the location using the fulfillment order assigned_location_id. line_item.origin_location is where the order was placed.

What happens when the merchants reassigns the item to a different fulfillment location in the Shopify admin?

The existing fulfillment order will be marked as closed. A new fulfillment order is created.

In addition we noticed an undocumented line_item.destination_location . What is it used for? so many location fields...

Indeed! I haven't come across this one - do you have an example order id?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
98 2 13

line_item.origin_location is where the order was placed.

But what do you mean by that?

What does it mean the location "where" the order was placed if this is not the location where it is fulfilled from?

Could you maybe give me a couple of concrete examples?

Indeed! I haven't come across this one - do you have an example order id?

Yes. 1805104185411 for example.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
98 2 13

@SBD_ 

"line_item.origin_location is where the order was placed."

Also the docs say the EXACT opposite: 

1596619848116.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1041 140 165

But what do you mean by that? What does it mean the location "where" the order was placed if this is not the location where it is fulfilled from? Could you maybe give me a couple of concrete examples?

For example, a store/POS location.

Also the docs say the EXACT opposite:

The section you highlighted is referring to the ID - the ID will not map to a location. This is causing confusion, @_JB is investigating why we expose an internal ID if it's not useable.

0 Likes