Solved

Does Shopify automatically ignore AppUsageRecords that are created during a free trial period?

EugeneKim
Shopify Partner
60 3 27

My app will charge both a recurring monthly fee as well as usage fees. I also plan on providing merchants a free trial. Based on certain merchant activity, I create AppUsageRecords to charge usage fees.

What happens if I create AppUsageRecords during a shop's free trial period? Will they be ignored automatically by Shopify or will they be charged and will I have to ensure that I don't create AppUsageRecords for shop's that have an active free trial?

Accepted Solution (1)

BStubbs
Shopify Partner
136 16 62

This is an accepted solution.

If the RecurringApplicationCharge has been accepted, then the associated AppUsageRecords will be valid.

Some app developers specifically state that usage charges will apply during the free trial. Maybe that is an option for you?

Personally, a free trial should be free (unless there is a tangible cost that needs to be recovered, like printing a product etc). So I disabled creating an AppUsageRecord if they were in a free trial.

Was this helpful? Press like!
Did it fix the problem? Mark it as the solution for others!
Buy me a beer? Well, sure!

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)

BStubbs
Shopify Partner
136 16 62

This is an accepted solution.

If the RecurringApplicationCharge has been accepted, then the associated AppUsageRecords will be valid.

Some app developers specifically state that usage charges will apply during the free trial. Maybe that is an option for you?

Personally, a free trial should be free (unless there is a tangible cost that needs to be recovered, like printing a product etc). So I disabled creating an AppUsageRecord if they were in a free trial.

Was this helpful? Press like!
Did it fix the problem? Mark it as the solution for others!
Buy me a beer? Well, sure!
EugeneKim
Shopify Partner
60 3 27

Thank you!