Does products/update webhook fire after an order is made?

Geva_Tal
Tourist
19 0 2

I want to be able to track inventory in an outside app. I wish to know if a products/update webhook is firered (since the inventory is being updated), or I have to listen to a orders/create webhook instead.

Thank you!

Replies 9 (9)

Alex
Shopify Staff
1561 81 341

Hey Geva,

This and other things like this could be tested quite easily by setting up a products/update webhook and creating a dummy order on your shop. In the case of products/create webhooks, they are not fired on order creation by itself.

Cheers.

Alex | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

power777
Tourist
9 1 5

Hi Alex:

Is there a way to distinguish products/update webhooks that are fired on sale from others that are fired from actual changes to the products? We want to use this webhook to react to changes, but don't have a need to react to inventory changes other than those affecting availability for products that have inventory tracking enabled.

as63
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

It looks like all variants contain inventory delta fields, as well as whether they have inventory management via Shopify.

{
      "id": 757650484644203962,
      "product_id": 788032119674292922,
      "title": "",
      "price": "19.99",
      "sku": "example-shirt-m",
      "position": 0,
      "inventory_policy": "deny",
      "compare_at_price": "24.99",
      "fulfillment_service": "manual",
      "inventory_management": "shopify",
      "option1": "Medium",
      "option2": null,
      "option3": null,
      "created_at": null,
      "updated_at": null,
      "taxable": true,
      "barcode": null,
      "grams": 200,
      "image_id": null,
      "weight": 200.0,
      "weight_unit": "g",
      "inventory_item_id": null,
      "inventory_quantity": 50,
      "old_inventory_quantity": 50,
      "requires_shipping": true
    }

Yagnesh
Shopify Partner
5 0 1

It's 2023 and still looking for this. I have thousands of orders being made on daily basis and all of those triggers product update webhook, Which is not needed for me. Is there any way to filter out such kind of webhooks?

Jay_El-Kaake
Tourist
12 0 2

I can confirm that the orders/create webhooks don't trigger products/update webhooks. If you're syncing products and orders you'll want to update synced product inventory for purchased/returned products manually after each order webhook.

Shameless plug: Banana Stand is a social proof and urgency platform that helps increase conversions. Check it out!
as_st
Shopify Partner
4 0 1

Hi all,

In multiple tests, I've run it seems products/update webhooks fire with every order I create.

Is this not an expected behavior? Am I doing something wrong with my dev stores?

Subscribed to products/update and orders/create

GD1
Shopify Partner
11 0 3

Yes 

Every time when any order is made.

Product update webhook called.

Thanks

gddeveloper

brandnamewater
Shopify Partner
23 3 1

I just added update webhooks and they fire directly after my create webhooks.  Not sure why but it happens.

To anyone in Shopify staff or devs out there with a lot of exp., is this expected behavior?

jlarks32
Visitor
3 0 0

Not sure if this is resolved, but it's 11/30/21 and I'm seeing my orders/update fire after my orders/create as well. So I think it's the intended behavior.