Solved

Draft Order "Reserve Items"

SteveKemper
Visitor
2 0 2

I see functionality was added in the Shopify admin that provides the ability to reserve the items in a draft order until a specific date. It looks like you're passing a property not outlined in the API docs like this: 

"reserve_items_until": "2020-01-31T14:00:00.000Z"

Can app developers use this param to similar effect, or is this locked down for Shopify internal use only?

If not, reserving inventory via the API would be a tremendous help in our use case, so I'd love to see this opened up to all developers.

Accepted Solution (1)

hassain
Shopify Staff (Retired)
624 104 187

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @SteveKemper ,

The "reserve_inventory_until" field of Draft Orders is only available internally when creating Draft Orders through the Shopify Admin UI. You unfortunately cannot create a new Draft Order with this field through any of the Shopify API.

As far as I know, there are no plans for taking this field from internal use only to public use anytime soon. However you can keep an eye out on the Shopify Changelogs (https://changelog.shopify.com/ and https://developers.shopify.com/changelog) to see if this feature ever gets added. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 9 (9)

hassain
Shopify Staff (Retired)
624 104 187

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @SteveKemper ,

The "reserve_inventory_until" field of Draft Orders is only available internally when creating Draft Orders through the Shopify Admin UI. You unfortunately cannot create a new Draft Order with this field through any of the Shopify API.

As far as I know, there are no plans for taking this field from internal use only to public use anytime soon. However you can keep an eye out on the Shopify Changelogs (https://changelog.shopify.com/ and https://developers.shopify.com/changelog) to see if this feature ever gets added. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

ESC
Shopify Partner
5 0 6

I think this field is necessary to make the Draft Order API usefull. Most use cases will need to hold inventory, thats the whole point of a draft order. Any news on this topic?

ModernPrints
Excursionist
27 0 12

I'd like to be able to put a 'Reserve' sign on products that I've reserved through a draft order. If the field is only accessed internally, does that mean I can't use it to add the 'Reserved' image? I'm not so tecchy, but would love to be able to do this. Thanks

CarlNL
Shopify Partner
1 0 9

@hassain @Shopify could you please consider adding the reserve items option to the draft order API? We have an app that manages our returns/exchanges, when a customer requests an exchange we need the items to be reserved for that customer. 

Jon_Nusz
Tourist
6 0 8

I dont understand... so is there a report or somewhere we can see the 'reserved' stock totals???

ginapet
Visitor
1 0 3

this feature "reserve" does not hold product and prevent a customer from buying the item (or attempting to) online. apparently, they are rejected in checkout, which is extremely frustrating for a customer. why is the reserved product still shown as available online or on POS??

SoldLive
Shopify Partner
26 1 2

+1 on being able to access this functionality via API.

We create draft orders outside of the store. Merchant then has to go in and individually/manually click "reserve items" so that they are indeed reserved for the customers with active draft orders. It's a huge pain point for our customers

jonasishere
Visitor
1 0 0

Having the reserve items option available in the API would really excell our process.

We sell used furniture and frequently need to reserve items because customers need to check their living room measurements to make an informed purchase decision.
Reservations (draft orders) are a vital part of this process.
Currently the customer has to call or emails us to confirm the reservation.
We want to automate the process with draft orders so that we can put the items on hold through the shopify admin UI. But then our inventory management system needs to know about this, because we need to make the items unavailable on all other channels.

Please let me know when we could get an update on this feature.
For v1 we could even just have a readonly field that gives us the "reserve_until" dateTime via the API.

I think this should be super easy to implement.

In v2 we can then talk about creating the "reservation" via the API.

Please let me know your thoughts.

All the best

Jonas

mindklip
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

If you're using ReCharge for subscriptions, PricePilot utilizes DraftOrder reservations to reserve/hold inventory for your upcoming subscriptions. This prevents them from being oversold on site if you're running low on stock.