Dynamically creating product for specific customer

Stephen_Kao
Tourist
27 0 3

I got a lot of my coworkers to upvote this feature because it's costing us way too much time and money -- I hope that helped out!  (I've already been setting up the awful Liquid hacks for a couple of my clients, and I can tell you that it's extremely tedious menial work!)

0 Likes
LCreek1
Shopify Partner
33 0 14

See Stephen, you've got me SO pumped to get started with sorting that out! (not sure if best solution is a guide for the shop owner to "do-it-yourself" or taking care of code changes case by case- either way not good) Thanks for the upvote campaign- couldn't hurt. Here's hoping something gets done this time!

Good luck with your project.

0 Likes
Stephen_Kao
Tourist
27 0 3

Thanks!  You too!

0 Likes
Shopify_Adam
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
153 0 33

The feature requests are always looked at seriously. But, rather than blindly implementing the proposed solution, we always try to consider if some of these outcomes could be reached in different ways. Adding a setting/option/toggle for each new feature is not Shopify's style. It's simply not scalable. So, thanks for your patience.

VP Product - Shopify
Stephen_Kao
Tourist
27 0 3

Well, I would imagine that the proposed feature would just be an extension of the 'hidden product' option that already exists.

Regardless, do you have any suggestions as to how to implement workarounds so that we could achieve this functionality?  Changing Liquid files to check for and hide certain products is -- if scalability can be quantified -- extremely unscalable for app developers.

0 Likes
Shopify_Adam
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
153 0 33

@Stephen There's no great way to provide this functionality yet. Hidden products don't totally solve the problem either. In many of the cases listed above, products are only intended for purchase certain people. Unintended people can still purchase the products by knowing the URL. There is no access control, simply obfuscation.

VP Product - Shopify
0 Likes
policenauts
Trailblazer
160 7 25

@LCreek1 @Stephen_Kao are either of you still kicking around here? It's 2021 and I'm trying to do the same thing and thought I'd nailed it with creating a moment in time product, only to realize that if I don't set sales channel availability to web, it shows me out of stock. 

@Shopify_Adam are you still here, any idea if this this will ever become available? Per your last message, I don't think access control is the primary issue, it's just simply being able to purchase a hidden product without crazy liquid hacks. 

0 Likes