Failed Recurring Usage Charge

almax120
Shopify Partner
17 0 0

Hi Shopify Staff,

I just had a failed recurring charge. However, and unfortunately, I don't have a trace/request id, or the error. Is there any way someone can tell me what happened with our sales channel? I'd like to know why some charges pass while this most recent one did not.

P.S. It would be great if we can get visibility into these things in the partner dashboard.

Replies 7 (7)

Luke_K
Shopify Staff
402 66 98

Hey @almax120 

By subscribing to the subscription_billing_attempts/failure webhook, you'll be able to glean reasoning behind the failed recurring charge.

Note the error_message part of the webhook payload, this will give you the reason.  Check out the  webhooks documentation for further details regarding the hook.

| Shopify |
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
almax120
Shopify Partner
17 0 0

Gotcha, so there's no way to know what has already happened? But moving forward, I can subscribe. 

Luke_K
Shopify Staff
402 66 98

Hey @almax120 

If you'd like to send me the name of the app/sales channel I'd be happy to investigate the logs - though we don't have the request ID, if the write was made in the preceding ~14 days then I should be able to find the error. 

| Shopify |
almax120
Shopify Partner
17 0 0
Luke_K
Shopify Staff
402 66 98

Hey @almax120 

I'd taken a look backstage here for any recurring charges after June 9th 2021, as this was the original date of first contact. Curiously, I'm not seeing a failed charge in the area of the DB that I'd be expecting it to appear.

Just for clarity, am I correct in assuming that this failed charge occurred after June 9th? I just wanted to doubly confirm the timeframe as that will help narrow things down. Thanks!

| Shopify |
almax120
Shopify Partner
17 0 0

Hi,

Yes. Thu, Jun 10, 11:52 AM CST

Luke_K
Shopify Staff
402 66 98

Hey @almax120 

Thank you - the only charge created after that time that was linked to the Puppy app would be an Expired Charge. A Recurring Application Charge becomes expired when it is not accepted within 2 days of being created. Hope that helps.

| Shopify |