Fetch Tracking Number call by Shopify

Solved
Highlighted
21 0 0

Based on the docs https://help.shopify.com/en/api/reference/shipping-and-fulfillment/fulfillmentservice, the "GET /fetch_tracking_numbers" call makes a request every hour to get the tracking number per fulfillment.

I did see the response that is attached to this call, but it isn't clear how the response should be when a fulfillment involves multiple tracking numbers. Also, is returning a empty response with HTTP status 200 valid for this call, if we want to ignore this request?

Appreciate if a Shopify Staff can help clarify this for us.

0 Likes
21 0 0

Bumping this up. Anybody have an answer for how to do this?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1118 78 156

Hey @Greenlyst , 

There's an example of how to respond with multiple tracking numbers that can be found in our Fulfillment Service documentation, it's just hidden behind the 'View/Hide response' button : 

2019-10-7aniu-6zc40

Hopefully that helps! In terms of responding when you don't have any tracking numbers to update, I know in the past I've responded with an empty hash of tracking numbers and that works fine. A 200OK without a response body should be acceptable as well.

0 Likes
21 0 0

Josh,

Thanks for this. I did take a look at it and I am a bit confused. Can you help me clarify this.

Being a dropshipping company, an order we receive from Shopify contains products to be fulfilled by multiple suppliers. So should I created a Fulfillment object for each supplier that fulfills specific line items.

For example: if an order has 3 line items, 2 of which are to be fulfilled by Supplier A and the 3rd item to be fulfilled by Supplier B. Should I create a fulfillment with null tracking number with 2 line item ids for Suppler A and create another fulfillment with Supplier B for the 3rd item. That way I will have 2 fulfillment names and I can provide the tracking numbers for both separately when shopify requests on the webhook. Is my understanding correct?

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1118 78 156

Hey again @Greenlyst , 

That should work, yes - in that case you should end up getting a request with the same order name twice, but with a .1 and .2 at the end in order for you to know there were separate fulfillments on the order. 

I would highly recommend creating a development store so you can give this a test run and get a feel for the process if you haven't already!

1 Like
21 0 0

Thanks, I was able to get this working and I am able to update the multiple tracking numbers per fulfillment. Thanks a lot for clarifying. Appreciate the help.

0 Likes