GatsbyJS site hosted by Shopify

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0

Hi,

I would like to build my site using GatsbyJS for the front end, and Shopify as the backend. This is nothing new as the GatsbyJS store itself is built with a Shopify backend. What I would like to do differently is host the static site generated during my Gatsby build, on Shopifys servers.

Ideally i would like to run my builds in a CI/CD pipeline that automatically publishes the result to the server.

Is there a simple way to do this?

Or...

Can Slate (or another tool) be configured to achieve this result by presenting my site as a theme?

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

I'd be surprised if Shopify offer this (happy to be corrected if I'm wrong), but you could do this using Netlify.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0

I also doubt that Shopify provides this out of the box. (Although they should.)

I'm actually hoping for someone with experience with their software to weigh in on if it's possible, and how much work it would be.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 4

This is technically possible but not an intended use case of the Shopify Theme API (afaict) and from experience building abstractions on top of the Shopify Theme API this would quirky to implement and a nightmare to maintain longterm.

Based on announcements from the Unite conference I think support for third party and custom storefronts is being improved dramatically which would make the using another provider for hosting (Netlify, AWS, GCP, etc..) the best option as @timswalling suggested.

1 Like